JD755 engine swap

/ JD755 engine swap #1  

nigelsharp

Tractor
John Deere 755 & 2140
Hi, the engine on my JD755 compact has recently been rebuilt with +0.5mm pistons (largest available) but the glowplug bulb has dropped into the engine and badly scored one cylinder bore. I have been told the engine is now scrap.

I have been offered a 3TN82 engine which is very similar to a JD955 engine but I am not sure if it could be adapted to fit. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Nigel

/ JD755 engine swap #2  
Quite possible. I can't say for sure in your case... you'd have to do a little measuring. The 3TN84 in my JD 955 was replaced with a 3TNE88.

/ JD755 engine swap #4  
I think the 955 engine would be too large to fit without alot of mods.

/ JD755 engine swap
That sounds a great idea. I don't know much about this process so could you explain how this is done please?

/ JD755 engine swap #6  
Can't a sleeve be put in? I would think it would be a lot cheaper?

Sleeves are not available from JD but an engine re-builder might be able to get them. The block would need to be bored to accept the new sleeve.
Short blocks are available but not cheap.

/ JD755 engine swap #7  
Check a company named la sleeve out of los angales ca. They offer sleeves and installation for many options and I'm sure they could manufacture one cheaper from scratch than the other options.

/ JD755 engine swap #8  
Check a company named la sleeve out of los angales ca. They offer sleeves and installation for many options and I'm sure they could manufacture one cheaper from scratch than the other options.

The problem I have heard is that the block is thin enough that there is not enough material to bore out to put a sleeve in. Just what I have heard.:(

/ JD755 engine swap #9  
That is highly possible. I don't who would be able to answer the for sure with out having the engine disassembled for inspection. I would still try a sleeve manufacturer just for some insight.

/ JD755 engine swap #10  
The John Deere CTM3 lists 72.70mm as the maximum bore size for the 3TNA72.This is also the maximum wear limit for a .5mm overbore.This engine was used in the 430,455,F925,F935,670,and 755.Often i will see one on ebay.So if a sleeve is not possible maybe another block would be.Sorry to hear of your misfortune.If at all possible don't give up on your 755.It's a tough machine.