Creeper

/ Creeper #1  

Honey Dealer

How slow does the creeper option allow a 5E Limited or 5M to operate? I am looking for a tractor that will go as slow as a hydrostatic equipped model, but has enough size and power for a hay operation.
The reason I need to go slow is to pull a berry harvester.

/ Creeper #2  
I have a 2011 JD5075M with the 16x16 Powreverser transmission. I use the tractor for haying - all aspects of hay production.

I also use the tractor to establish and re-establish hay fields. The 2 implements that I operate for the dirt work are a Meri-Crusher and a HD gear-drive rototiller. IMO - the transmission does not go slow enough to get the best performance of the tiller (the Crusher, yes).

If I had it to do over again - I'd have included either the Hi/Lo transmission option or the creeper - or maybe both.

The Hi/Lo option gives you a 20% difference in speed. Either increases or decreases the particular gear you're using - up or down. That might be just enough to give better results (finer dirt, less clumps) with just one pass on the rototiller.

Little doubt that the creeper option would do the trick! But, you can't shift on the fly!

Your dealer should be able to give you a table which lists the speeds for the different transmission options.

AKfish

/ Creeper
What model of tiller do you use? Do you have trouble with rocks? I will also be tilling each time I plant more Saskatoons and to renew some of my own hay land.

/ Creeper #4  
What model of tiller do you use? Do you have trouble with rocks? I will also be tilling each time I plant more Saskatoons and to renew some of my own hay land.

It's a Frontier model 1270. Thankfully, not many rocks at all! The worst problem I have is sod clumps. I don't want to use Roundup for a "pre-kill" of the old, tired timothy fields. So, I rip the sod and then till it.

I think I'd save trips working the fields if I could go just a "sqooch" slower! :D

AKfish

/ Creeper #5  
It's a Frontier model 1270. Thankfully, not many rocks at all! The worst problem I have is sod clumps. I don't want to use Roundup for a "pre-kill" of the old, tired timothy fields. So, I rip the sod and then till it.

I think I'd save trips working the fields if I could go just a "sqooch" slower! :D

AKfish

Larry,
Do you run your tiller with the tailgate raised? I usually run with my tailgate down to fully pulverize the soil.

Looks to me like your tractor should run slow enough in first or second gear to pulverize everything. I run my tractor about 1.5 mph for most ground with excellent results. If I make a second pass it is around 1.8 mph and this is done perpendicular to the first pass.

Assuming you have the 16.9x30 tires Tractordata shows 1.2, 1.5 and 1.8 mph for the first three gears, seems I would use second and third gears for most of what I do. Also if you have the economy pto you might be able to lower the ground speed while maintaining the tiller rpm's. That could give you about a 30% decrease in ground speed.

/ Creeper #6  
I dont know the specs but they (tractors with creeper option) are so slow you will wonder if you will ever move two feet!

/ Creeper #7  
Assuming you have the 16.9x30 tires Tractordata shows 1.2, 1.5 and 1.8 mph for the first three gears, seems I would use second and third gears for most of what I do. Also if you have the economy pto you might be able to lower the ground speed while maintaining the tiller rpm's. That could give you about a 30% decrease in ground speed.

Steve,

Door's down. The green sod is the problem. It sure seems slow... A1 - but it takes quite a few trips to get things churned up enough for a good, dirt seedbed!

Thanks, on that idea! The ground isn't hard or rocky or a hard job for the tractor - and the ePTO rpm is about 400 (maybe 500..) less rpm's than the regular pto. Definitely less speed! :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ Creeper #8  
How slow does the creeper option allow a 5E Limited or 5M to operate? I am looking for a tractor that will go as slow as a hydrostatic equipped model, but has enough size and power for a hay operation.
The reason I need to go slow is to pull a berry harvester.

Hello,

The 5m has a two speed range creeper setup installed at the factory whereas the 5e limited has a single range with your choice of one of two speed ranges dealer installed I believe.

On the 5m once you select your creeper range, you can use your main shifter to select any of four speeds within that range and if you have the powr reverser plus with the hi/lo selector you have eight speeds in that range.

On my 5m in low creeper range, first gear at maximum rpm the tractor moves at .1 mph.

Don't know about the speed for the 5e limited.

Regards,

Tom

/ Creeper #9  
Hello,

The 5m has a two speed range creeper setup installed at the factory whereas the 5e limited has a single range with your choice of one of two speed ranges dealer installed I believe.

On the 5m once you select your creeper range, you can use your main shifter to select any of four speeds within that range and if you have the powr reverser plus with the hi/lo selector you have eight speeds in that range.

On my 5m in low creeper range, first gear at maximum rpm the tractor moves at .1 mph.

Don't know about the speed for the 5e limited.

Regards,

Tom

Tom,

Now, that would really make that rototiller work! I'd have "flour" in one pass! :D

AKfish

/ Creeper #10  
AK, have you checked your OP manual for the M? It should list travel speeds for Creeper whether you have the option or not.