Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 5075E

Default Re: 54 " Blower fan observation?

Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    Wow. Plastic snow blower.

The world really is falling apart.

--->Paul
    ..and the plastic is wearing you say??? Who dah thunk it!!
    JD5075E, Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, Wallenstein FX65 Skidding Winch

Tractor
    John Deere 2520 & John Deere 445

jgayman, the bottom of my shoes are pretty much even with the bottom of the pipe which puts my blower closer to the ground than when the cutting edges were on. With the pipes I am cleaning up the snow better than I did before and blowing less stone thru the chute. Here are some pics. Eric

54 " Blower  fan observation?-snowblower-001.jpg54 " Blower  fan observation?-snowblower-002.jpg54 " Blower  fan observation?-p1010031.jpg
    2011 JD 2520 - Ballast Box, 54" snow blower, 200CX FEL, I-Match, 655 tiller, Markham toothbar, Original Cab, Artillian Forks

1996 JD 445- 47" snow blower, 54" blade, 54" MMM, model 80 dump cart

Tractor
    JOHN DEERE 4300

Default "TURF BAR"

What you are showing and talking about is called a turf bar here in northern Mich.
    most of the people with plows on their pickups use them until the ground is frozen
    They help greatly to prevent digging into un frozen lawns if they go off side of driveway
    I like mine in that it seems to "float over the gravel until it freezes
    have had one put on back blade this fall not enough snow yet to report results
    54 " Blower  fan observation?-15-turf-bar-copy.jpg

Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Paul, I had mine changed out to steel on my new 54" blower at a cost to me of $565.00 What was deere thinking? I think they hired a "green engineer" that made some points with corperate to save them the cost of the steel impeller, and double dipping on the labor to correct it, I will be taking it up with them this week, had I seen the plastic impeller on it before buying it (expecting it was steel like the one on my 47") I would have made the dealer change it out before I would buy it or choose another brand blower maybe Frontier, none the less once I did the modifications I like the blower as well as I liked my 47". Eric

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Quote Originally Posted by superbear View Post
    Paul, I had mine changed out to steel on my new 54" blower at a cost to me of $565.00
    Eric - is there any way that you can provide a list of JD part numbers that were required to make the impeller switch? You can even PM me the information if you would prefer not to post it here. I have a 54" blower and would like to perhaps make the same mod. by ordering the parts and doing it myself

- John

Tractor
    John Deere 2720

John, the part # for the steel blower that my dealer installed on my 54" is AM109105 apparently it is the same part # that is for the 47" blower. It took them 3+ hrs to install it. Let me know how it goes. Eric

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Quote Originally Posted by superbear View Post
    John, the part # for the steel blower that my dealer installed on my 54" is AM109105 apparently it is the same part # that is for the 47" blower. It took them 3+ hrs to install it. Let me know how it goes. Eric
    Thanks Eric. So that is the only part required? That's not too bad. It looks like the part costs $231. 3-hours? Wow... somehow it looks easier than that. Although I know if I do it I won't be trying to break any records.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

I'm in the process of modifying my snow blower shoes as they seem to dig into my gravel a lot. I am going to add another identical piece of 2 1/4 x 8" x 1/2" flat bar to the side of the existing runners - effectively doubling the surface area. I plan to get started on it this weekend. I hope it helps.

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of the new shoes you had made.

Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Both the 47" and 54" use the same steel impeller fan, if you missed it I posted the part # AM109105

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Mercmaniac - would you be so kind as to share some details on how you tore apart your 54" blower? I'm trying to figure it out from the parts listing. Were you able to remove the auger, gearbox and front shaft as one piece after decoupling it from the impeller?

I'm assuming that one shaft comes from the rear sprocket and ends at the impeller. The front shaft then starts at the impeller sheer bolt and runs forward. Is that correct.

It looks like there are a lot of keys and bearings and I want to avoid taking more apart than I have to. It would appear that if it weren't for the raised edge of the impeller well you could loosen the set screw and pull it straight out.

I appreciate any tips you can toss my way.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast