John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #11  
Thank you for all the help guys and Steve is correct, it is a 3 cylinder diesel 820 that is somewhere in the 32 to 35 hp range. Love this tractor, it is a mule!!!

We bought ours new in 1972. It only has just over 700 hrs.
The only repair significant repair we have done is the injector pump.
It had a rough idle due to the governor and that was the fix.
Just wish it had power steering. Made in Germany.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #12  
About the three point linkage adjustment I looked in the service manual and also on John Deere Parts. Heres a page on the linkage you asked about in the PM. I suspect one of the two shafts are stripped if you can turn the lower shaft by hand. You should sign uip with JDparts, go to deere.com click on parts and sign up it is free and parts, diagrams and exploded views such as this one are readily available with part numbers and a link to a shopping cart to order.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #13  
We bought ours new in 1972. It only has just over 700 hrs.
The only repair significant repair we have done is the injector pump.
It had a rough idle due to the governor and that was the fix.
Just wish it had power steering. Made in Germany.

I am feeling lucky today so do you have any pics of your 820? Mine has about 1700 hrs on it. I am needing to get the injector pump reworked too, is still works okay but is starting to leak and I know the parts inside need replacing after 38 years. Mine is a 1973 model

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #14  
I'll see if I can find and load some pics.
Yours looks great. We have the original rops with the roof banged up from trees. I have a reproduction roof that I have yet to install.
If yours runs well, I would not rework the pump. Just replace the three fiber washers on each fuel line coming off the pump.(if it is leaking in that area).
If you end up removing the pump yourself, there are two special tools that make the re install much easier. I believe it is a Stanadyne pump.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #15  
For an owners manual did you call your nearest Deere dealer?

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #16  
have 73 820 also been in barn since 83 just pulled out and going over it.I remember it was a mule.Just put away cause needed a bigger tractor.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #17  
where are the glow plugs on a 1973 jd 820 im lost.looked on manual but nothing about glow plugs.Are they internial?Hope someone can help?

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #18  
No glow plugs on this tractor, thats why you can't find them.:D

Most of these tractors have an ether injection point on the lower right side of the dash, this has a knurled cap with chain you unscrew and inject the ether through. Simply remove the spray tip from an ether can and push up into the fitting while cranking. Use as little ether as you can get by with to get it running.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #19  
I see in ur pics urs has a cab top,did it come with it in 73 or is it a after market.mine doesn't have.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #20  
That is a rops and canopy ordered from Deere to fit this tractor. Working on slopes in the mountains it is much safer to have the rops. So I added it in 2005, the tractor didn't come with it initially.