John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #22  
thanks for the reply it was great help'wondering what the chain was for.lol try to refurbish tractor,had to do major cleanup with fuel system,injectors,new filters,return lines etc.drain fuel tank and i have never seen black fuel before.lol and ways started right up with ether hit.but wont stay running no air in system(bubbles)return line flows good .But checking have fuel in injector pump but no fuel coming out to injectors.The manual states that turning the key on energizes the pump it comes from the silenod.their is a ground wire from the fuse box ti the pump but i dont see any other wire going to the injector pump.how does it get energized?the manual states it has a auto shut off.And i guess energizing pump opens the shut off valve.I want to think its not getting energized to open shut off valve this is my problem.can anyone help me on this im stumped !!!!

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #23  
Do you have a vom meter? You should verify that you have 12 volts to the lead going to the injector pump with the ignition switch in the on position. If you don't have a meter a continuity tester light would work for this too.

Depending on the injector pump you have I think most of them have a short three inch wire that grounds the coil to the housing of the pump and a long lead that goes back to the instrment panel, this long lead should have 12v + on it.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #24  
Thankyou for the come back the pump is a JDB there is one wire that goes to the neg- side of the fuse box.thats the only wire on the pump.the tractor was a mess when i pulled it out of a barn.I had to clean up all the wiring.the only other wire going to dash is the red wire from the coil and a black ground wire which is on top of the starter. is the wire from the pump on the left side of the motor should be a 12v wire? ty again ive cleaned this bad boy up and its starting to look good.Would like to get this going to bushhog with it.As the other tractors are gas.and they love it lolol.:laughing::laughing:

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #25  
Hello,
I have a 820 John Deere myself. I do know they need voltage to them to open the fuel flow. They also used different makes of injector pumps.

As soon as I am able to get to my tractor I will look and find the wire you spoke of. But I think if you just turn the key to the on position you should be able
to hear it click on.

In any event I will get back to you very shortly with some information.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #26  
Ok mine is a ROSSA MASTER injector pump. The supply Hot wire, runs from the
pump to the key switch.

On mine the wire is located on top toward the front of the injector pump.
It is in plain sight ,can't miss it. They use a everyday type nut to hold
the wire in place.

I hope i have helped you, Good Luck

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #27  
Thankyou for the come back the pump is a JDB there is one wire that goes to the neg- side of the fuse box.thats the only wire on the pump.the tractor was a mess when i pulled it out of a barn.I had to clean up all the wiring.the only other wire going to dash is the red wire from the coil and a black ground wire which is on top of the starter. is the wire from the pump on the left side of the motor should be a 12v wire? ty again ive cleaned this bad boy up and its starting to look good.Would like to get this going to bushhog with it.As the other tractors are gas.and they love it lolol.:laughing::laughing:

I suspect the long wire that you speak of that is going to the negative side of the fuse box is wrong. If your tractor is like the rest of the 820's it is negative ground, running a lead to the negative fuse buss doesn't accomplish anything. My BDF injector pump has the long lead routed to the ignition switch run position with a small fuse inline. What is your tractor serial number (doesn't have to be exact)? I ask because there are several injector pump versions and the Roosa Master was used early up to about 45000 and then later somewhere above 80,000. Are the injector lines to the cylinders in a radial pattern around the pump or are they all positioned on the end in a circle?

Something else to remember is the magnet/slug can click but the valve can be stuck closed meaning the electric fuel shutoff needs to be freed up.

My 820 is a late model built in the last year of production sn 101XXX L here is a picture of the injector pump, mine has started leaking on the top and is collecting dust and dirt making a mess. I spent some time researching options last night and found a good place to rebuild the pump for $220 labor and parts if you wind up needing this.

In the picture notice that the outside solenoid ground terminal is connected to the housing with a short wire lead about four inches long. The inside lead is the one going back to the switch run terminal.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #28  
I just got off work. I will get you the serial number tomorrow and post in the afternoon, also the the pattern you mentioned.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #29  
I put the wire on the top nut like you surggested took ohm meter ok great i have power going to the pump.i cracked the bolt on the return line i have fuel now coming out the return line i can still see air bubbles.So im going to bleed it to get all the air out.Question do i need to crack open the lines at the injectors to bleed to the injectors?ty for the reply.I know its probably sum thing silly.Cause it did run just that it had dirty fuel causing it to miss.

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 1,476
Last edited:
   / John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #30  
the # is 097130L code#T4HDC which operation manual says a 1973 I will take some picks and send.I followed the wire back to fuse box and it is on the ground side of the box,which when i turn key it goes hot at the pump.Im dying to get this tractor going I think it will be a mule.

Last edited: