John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #31  
my pump looks just like yours and i see the wire goes on the inside bolt this helps as the wire was on the outside bolt im going to change.tyty

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #32  
here's some pics of my 820 trying to get going. 562428_136322643164847_100003613374313_146350_390968270_n.jpg

578735_136322236498221_100003613374313_146349_1221499166_n.jpg

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #33  
my pump looks just like yours and i see the wire goes on the inside bolt this helps as the wire was on the outside bolt im going to change.tyty

Make sure the post you put the hot wire on is not shorted to ground. On mine the inside terminal is the post that takes the hot wire and the outside terminal is connected to ground with the short lead wire. Do you have this short lead wire too? Use an ohm meter to measure the resistance between the inside terminal and ground. I would also recommend you add a cheap inline fuse with a 1 or 2 amp fast blow fuse to the hot lead as a precaution before attempting to switch the leads.

I would bleed all the air and any residual dirty fuel between the filters and pump first using the manual pump on the engine. If it doesn't start after this I would then bleed the top lines to the injectors.

Your not far from the injector shop I use and have used years ago. This shop is located in Olive Branch Ms just below the state line. This would be my go to shop to rework pumps and test injectors.

Ag Fuel Injection Pumps : American Diesel Service, Power Stroke Duramax Cummins Diesel Parts, Pumps, Injectors, & Gaskets

Let me know how this works out for you, close up pics of the injector pump would help alot too.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #34  
You could try getting a manual from John Deere? 1-800-522-7448. Don't waste your time and money on an I&T booklet.

mine just came in mail i bought at All State AG parts

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #35  
Hello,

I am very happy I could help. I would bleed the entire system, starting from the two
filters, by using the fuel pump lever. Then work your way to the injectors one at a time until you have a clear fuel flow.
I believe you are on your way to getting it running , remember to make sure the fuel
pump lever has resistance, if not, just tap the starter until you do.
Once your down bleeding the system, make sure the fuel pump lever is completely in the down position.

Good luck, and if I can help in any way don't hesitate to contact me.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #36  

I assume you mean the wire goes back to the load side of the fuse block, not to a negative ground terminal.

At any rate now that you have fuel flow I would bleed the injector lines starting with the farthest or longest line.

Hope it fires up for you.:thumbsup:

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #37  
ty for the come back.ok to wire goes back to the neg side of fuse box .when i turn the key on its hot,this way if something is wrong it would blow the fuse at the box.I just checked I know fuel is coming out of pump cause fuel is leaking at the bolts to the lines to the injectors i took off all line and cleaned them out.will bleed today at the injectors and cross my fingers.thanks againto both of you.Duke and jenkins

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #38  
There is no negative in a fuse block. There is line, +, or source, the fuse, then load. This connection after the fuse may be referred to a protected or fused. Some wires may not go through a fuse block but may have fusible links. Chrysler likes to use fusible links in their charging system wiring and fusible links sometimes have some pretty big amp ratings. Negative or ground refers to the - on the battery which usually connects to metal on the engine. Only reason to bring the correct terminology up is some devices have a fused power source and also have a negative or ground wire. The lights on my tractor work that way as they are mounted in rubber grommets that insulate.

I was looking for some sites on the internet to explain with pictures but I failed. Anyhow all someone was trying to suggest is the proper term is important when troubleshooting. Hopefully I used the proper terms. ;-)

Also note that some cars have positive ground instead of negative ground. I have not seen one but I believe they are seen in the UK.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #39  
There is no negative in a fuse block. There is line, +, or source, the fuse, then load. This connection after the fuse may be referred to a protected or fused. Some wires may not go through a fuse block but may have fusible links. Chrysler likes to use fusible links in their charging system wiring and fusible links sometimes have some pretty big amp ratings. Negative or ground refers to the - on the battery which usually connects to metal on the engine. Only reason to bring the correct terminology up is some devices have a fused power source and also have a negative or ground wire. The lights on my tractor work that way as they are mounted in rubber grommets that insulate.

I was looking for some sites on the internet to explain with pictures but I failed. Anyhow all someone was trying to suggest is the proper term is important when troubleshooting. Hopefully I used the proper terms. ;-)

Also note that some cars have positive ground instead of negative ground. I have not seen one but I believe they are seen in the UK.

Thanks, that was my concern and point too. The standard fuse block in an 820 doesn't have negative terminals. Interestingly my boat though has positive and negative fuse blocks with buss and fuses for both positive and negative leads. When dealing with a tractor this old it may have been rewired so I was wondering about the possibilities and seeking clarification.

I also noticed that the picture was added of veto56's injector pump and there wasn't a jumper wire on the ground terminal of the solenoid. I assume the insulating washer has been removed to provide continuity between this post and the injector case.

/ John Deere 820 Basic Maintenance Manual #40  
I'm sure you know that their are many old tractors still out in the fields working
that have positive grounds.

Some old fords did, as well as international and Massey Harris. And probably
more then I'm aware ,

That is a good point you brought up.