JD X728 cab and heater

/ JD X728 cab and heater #1  

jbgood

Tractor
2013 JD X738
Planning on buying JD X728 with snowblower and installing the soft side cab (JD's price 969.00 Part # BM20482)
The tractor has 12 volt accessory plug in. Thinking of buying a 12 volt Heater/fan to keep the windshield from fogging. Not worried about me, I'll still dress warm and be out of the wind and blowing snow. Looking for comments on the cab and using the accessory plug in

/ JD X728 cab and heater #2  
just run the exhaust in teh cab

/ JD X728 cab and heater #3  
I had a couple garden tractors, one with soft side and glass windshield and another hard side with glass all around and never had to run a fan to keep the windshield clear, and all was good. I would try it first and see how just the cab works, besides I don't know how much juice those plugs can handle.

/ JD X728 cab and heater #4  
Your owners manual should tell the size fuse supplying the outlet, which needs to exceed the rated amperage of your selected heater unit. Look at the back of the outlet and check the wire size leading to it. That also should meet or exceed the requirements of your heater. That being met, you should have no problems.

/ JD X728 cab and heater #5  
If you need heat you would be wise to use the engine coolant system. Utilizing a 12v 20amp or 40amp alternator for supplying heat is too minimal to do much good. If the lighter/power outlet is rated for 15 amps then you would have with engine running 13 volts x 15 amps for 195 watts. Since you can only get about 3.4 btu's/watt (for resistive heat) then you would have 195 x 3.4 =663 btu's/hr of heat. A typical small tractor cab would need about 12,000 btu's. I think you would be wasting your time and money.

/ JD X728 cab and heater #6  
Most big truck dealers carry nice caged fans designed to be used to do what you want except you will need to attach your own male 12v plug to fit your socket.