Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 820 utility, John Deere 5525, 997 JD Zmower, Komatsu PC 35 miniExcavator

Default Re: JD 5105 won't go into gear when running....

Quote Originally Posted by jd110 View Post
    It sounds like the clutch disk is stuck. Sometimes in wet or high humidity conditions, the disk can rust tight to the flywheel or pressure plate. It's possible tractor will need to be split to fix. Sometimes if you can manage to get it into a low gear and then tractor will not stop when pushing in the clutch, so extreme caution is needed. Stick it into low gear, low range and then while holding the clutch pedal down, stab the brake pedals sharply several times. Sometimes the jerking will break loose the rust.
    Sounds like the clutch is stuck to the flywheel.
    We have pull started in a higher gear, if your tractor won't start in gear.
    You can even pull it with key off, clutch in, in gear and stab the breaks.
    And when he says stab the brakes, don't be shy...jamb them hard with the clutch pushed in. It should break free.

Turn off the key / kill engine if in panic and won't stop.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Seems if clutch is stuck, then while engine running that trying to shove into gear will grind on the gears. The OP didn't say if this happens.

But I'd try what Wnc3 suggests --- pulling tractor in gear with key off. Move down in gears while pulling until the rear wheels just slide from no traction. Takes a bigger tractor to do this.

Would like to be there to help you but - good luck.

If it breaks loose then see if that solves the problem.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 5105

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Seems if clutch is stuck, then while engine running that trying to shove into gear will grind on the gears. The OP didn't say if this happens.

But I'd try what Wnc3 suggests --- pulling tractor in gear with key off. Move down in gears while pulling until the rear wheels just slide from no traction. Takes a bigger tractor to do this.

Would like to be there to help you but - good luck.

If it breaks loose then see if that solves the problem.
    high speed gear grinds, others do not. let me make sure I understand. so I put the tractor in 4th gear while being pulled, the downshift to 3d, then to 2d, to 1st until the rear wheels slide as in lock up and not roll? if the wheels lock up this means the clutch is still stuck to the flywheel and the problem still is there doesn't it?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 5105

If someone could clarify that procedure, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! And also how would one prevent this from happening again?

Veteran Member

If or when you get it unstuck I'd figure out some way to keep the clutch pedal depressed while sitting for lengthy periods. Our kubota L3940 has a little rod that holds the clutch in the depressed position for lengthy set periods. Not a problem with the Kubota as it's used 365 days a year to feed 60 head of cattle.

So your saying that you can physically put it in gear while the engine is stopped but once it's started you can't get it into gear at all? The family farm has a CaseIH 5140 with powershift and sometimes it will shift into gear but not move until you rock the main shifter several times or jam the clutch to the floor several times until a light on the dash goes off, I've been told in this case it's a solenoid problem and very hard to diagnose unless it's doing it when a mechanic is here.

Good Luck and be careful.
    '11 John Deere 5065M /cab
    '10 Kubota L3940 w/FEL
    '09 JD X720
    '91 CaseIH 5140 Maxxum w/cab
    '78 IH 686 w/M&W Turbo 106 PTO hp w/canopy

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Allis Chalmers ED 40

I agree the clutch is probably stuck. You will have to jury rig a means of starting while in gear, and be prepared to shut it off quickly in case you can't break it loose with the brakes unless you tow it outside first where you have room to roam. If it stuck once, it will do it again, so when you park it, I'd suggest you push the pedal down and wedge it keeping the clutch released. Problem should go away when weather gets warmer and moisture in the bell housing evaporates.

Tractor
    John Deere 820 utility, John Deere 5525, 997 JD Zmower, Komatsu PC 35 miniExcavator

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
    If someone could clarify that procedure, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! And also how would one prevent this from happening again?
    OK, hear is my suggestion after thinking about it some more...

Get another tow vehicle a 4wd truck or similar or larger tractor.

with the key off, tractor in a higher gear ie 8speed trans put it in 7th.

push in the clutch and have the tow rig pull you. the back tires need to turn(not skid and drag) and the engine will turn. By hiting the breaks the engine will still be trying to turn and you will be stopping the rear and the weak link will be the stuck clutch disk. Keep the clutch pushed in the whole time. then try and start the tractor and put in gear.
    Last edited by Wnc3; 02-27-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: when breaks free the engine will stop turning and tractor should roll freely with clutch in.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 5105

OK, that makes sense. Does anyone know of a way to by pass the neutral start safety switch so that one could start in gear? Just for this purpose, I would never standby start a machine. And I am wondering how moisture got in there to begin with? is the bell housing open somewhere?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    5210 MFWD

You do Not want to by-pass anything. As others have said with the tractor turned off. Put it in the highest gear and range, with the clutch in. Then have someone pull you if possible do this on level ground, then hit the brakes a few times and see if this breaks it free. If that does not work go one gear lower and try it again.

Make sure the person pulling you knows what is going on. Also with the tractor off, you have no hydraulics ie no brakes, no power steering, so if things do come free and you are going down hill who ever is pulling you had better get out of the way. I would avoid this but if you have to let the clutch out to stop or have the key in the run position and when you let the clutch out the tractor might start.

You say you keep it inside. Is the floor dirt or cement and when you come out is the tractor all wet, because of high humidity. Most likely high humidity is what caused the problem.

I would put my seat belt on.

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

Reading this, I just wanted to add that by pulling the tractor with a larger tractor, the object isn't to start the tractor, the object is to break the clutch disc loose so that you can go back to starting it normally.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast