JD 5105 won't go into gear when running....

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #21  
I have also heard that if u do get it broke loose, if that is what is wrong that, when it breaks loose it has a good chance of breaking clutch material off. There fore messing the clutch disk up. I hope that it does not. Good luck!

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #22  
I would go with a clutch disk, a few years back picked up an older far all would start and could not shift, when not running shift into any gear. Spent that winter splitting the tractor and replaced the disk. It was a dry clutch don't know if that makes a difference.

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #23  
andrew
You are getting good suggestions, and the one thing you DON"T want is for the tractor to start and still have a stuck clutch.

So pull, in gear with clutch depressed, and tapping brakes. If/when the procedure works that the engine is not turning with the clutch depressed, you have been successful at breaking the bond in the clutch.
Then you can stop pulling, and put in neutral and key start the engine. Should be good to go hopefully at that point.

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running....
this will have to wait till the weekend guys but I will report back to tell you how it went! I will wear my seatbelt.

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running....
OK guys, here's the update! tonight I fired up the tractor put on my seatbelt, and shifted in the general direction of reverse. the tractor started to move, slowly, then the shifter slipped into reverse gear.

Next, I held the clutch in to disengage the clutch pad, but the tractor kept moving. I began to hit the brakes lightly, then harder, harder, then to stab the brakes rapidly and finally I felt it "break" where the pad came loose from the clutch pad! fixed. so then I parked it, pushed the pedal in, and jammed a top link pin in there to hold the clutch pad off the flywheel.

I can't thank you guys enough!!!

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #26  
That's great! Glad you got it fixed. I might recommend you run it some more and maybe start out from a dead stop on a hill a few times to "polish" any rust off of the pressure plate and flywheel.

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #27  
Excellent! I imagine the thought of not stopping got you hitting the brakes harder...no soft foot in this case.:thumbsup:

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #28  
OK guys, here's the update! tonight I fired up the tractor put on my seatbelt, and shifted in the general direction of reverse. the tractor started to move, slowly, then the shifter slipped into reverse gear.

Next, I held the clutch in to disengage the clutch pad, but the tractor kept moving. I began to hit the brakes lightly, then harder, harder, then to stab the brakes rapidly and finally I felt it "break" where the pad came loose from the clutch pad! fixed. so then I parked it, pushed the pedal in, and jammed a top link pin in there to hold the clutch pad off the flywheel.

I can't thank you guys enough!!!

You ripped a manual transmission into gear with the clutch still engaged?

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #29  
You ripped a manual transmission into gear with the clutch still engaged?

I belive he said it slipped into gear. If you don't force a manual transmission it will often go into gear fairly easily at low speeds, heck I've done it many times with no harm to the transmission.

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #30  
Ahh this is a good post always learning something on here. :thumbsup: Would you want to ride the clutch a little after breaking it free to help polish the flywheel to help keep the clutch plate from re-binding?