JD 5105 won't go into gear when running....

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
this is a JD 5105 MFWD 600 hour 2004 tractor, shed kept. Hasn't been started in 3 weeks. I can run through the gears when it is not running, but when running it won't go into any gear. It won't start if you put it in gear first. I believe but nto sure that it has a wet clutch. Ideas?

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #2  
I have a 2002 2WD 5105 with the sync reverser. The gear lever on the right is always in gear (1 to 4) and the transmission lever on the left is forward, reverse, high forward or neutral. Sometimes I have to put it in gear once or twice then back to neutral to start and double clutch to get the transmission in forward after starting. Guess I would check the clutch linkage first if nothing is getting in gear or grinding. Of course you have probably already done that.

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #3  
this is a JD 5105 MFWD 600 hour 2004 tractor, shed kept. Hasn't been started in 3 weeks. I can run through the gears when it is not running, but when running it won't go into any gear. It won't start if you put it in gear first. I believe but nto sure that it has a wet clutch. Ideas?

key question ... do you have a power reverser ? then what transmission do you have?

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running....
Tractor is just a gear drive, mine does not have synchronized gears (only reverse is syncro) and I am not sure what power reverse is so I must nothave it.

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #5  
dry clutch must be correct then- yes, the problem exists in all gears, and I tried low idle and higher rpms too. I played with it a little to see if anything would work. Could the linkage be out of alignment? seems like you would slowly realize a problem rather than all at once like I have seen. last time I ran it it had zero problems a all.

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #7  
I know you said it will go in gear with the tractor off. Might want to try and "rock" the tractor back and forth a bit to possibly move the trans. linkage a bit in case there is a "dead" spot or some filings in the transmission case causing a blockage when the pump is on. Not sure how feasible that is with MFWD to rock it or move it from its current position before trying again. Never had a MFWD. Does it have to be "off" when starting the tractor?

You can start the tractor with MFWD lever on or off, the tractor doesn't mind. It is just odd how it feels natural going through the gears when it is off, then suddenly when started it is like there is some safety gate or block keeping it from going into gear. could it be a some safety feature to prevent standby start/operation? maybe a switch beneath the seat? that doesnot make sense though as it starts just fine.

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #9  
Hopefully someone else can chime in. The only warnings I see in the book are "low oil supply" and/or a clogged hydraulic oil filter. Does the 3 point work properly once the tractor is on ?

/ JD 5105 won't go into gear when running.... #10  
It sounds like the clutch disk is stuck. Sometimes in wet or high humidity conditions, the disk can rust tight to the flywheel or pressure plate. It's possible tractor will need to be split to fix. Sometimes if you can manage to get it into a low gear and then tractor will not stop when pushing in the clutch, so extreme caution is needed. Stick it into low gear, low range and then while holding the clutch pedal down, stab the brake pedals sharply several times. Sometimes the jerking will break loose the rust.