1050 lost hydraulics

/ 1050 lost hydraulics #1  

egal680

I have lost the hydraulics on my John Deere 1050. It doesnt get much use but about a month ago I tried to widen a drainage ditch. The backhoe was very sluggish. I thought it was probably due to the colder weather but it didnt get any better as the machine warmed up. Next morning I checked the trans/Hydro level and it was low - took almost a gallon ( I know ) . But after filling - there was no hydraulics at all. The pump in front doesnt sound bad and there doesnt seem to be any vibration or grinding when I feel it. To check for pressure , I cracked one of the couplings to the bucket till it leaked a little fluid and then actuated the lever that should have pressurize the line and got no more fluid pressure ( leak ) . An excavator friend said that pumps usually go bad over time, not all of a sudden. I always though it was a little weak but it did always get the job done. Any ideas before I start to pull the front radiator frame and pump apart ? I would appreciate any input or guidance.

/ 1050 lost hydraulics #2  
How long since hyd filer was changed??? How long since screen was checked/cleaned?

Attachments

• RWP5005________UN01JAN94.gif
    RWP5005________UN01JAN94.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 4,270
   / 1050 lost hydraulics
Filter was changed about two years ago but im not sure about the screen. The tractor does not get much use. Maybe 5-10 hrs since filter change, so I didnt think that would cause such a quick drop in pressure. I will check/ change these and see if that helps.

/ 1050 lost hydraulics #4  
Filter was changed about two years ago but im not sure about the screen. The tractor does not get much use. Maybe 5-10 hrs since filter change, so I didnt think that would cause such a quick drop in pressure. I will check/ change these and see if that helps.

If the sump screen is closed off - in picture - you won't have much or any pressure! Has the hyd fluid been changed out previously?

Changing/cleaning the sump screen involves draining the entire transmission/transaxle housing; likely 10 gallons or so - if the capacity is anything like my old JD 970.

AKfish

/ 1050 lost hydraulics #5  
When I had my 1050, I lost most of the pressure. I changed the fluid and filter and fixed it. Also, check the rate of drop/lock adjustment knob and make sure it hasn't been closed off.

/ 1050 lost hydraulics
Thanks all. Ill start work on it this weekend- drain , replace filter and clean screen . Hope it is that simple. Tx