Tractor
    Ford 555B

Default 3 point problems

Hello guys I have a John Deere 2840 and the 3 point seem to tremble when it goes up and down. I've check the fluid level and it full, also it tends to kinda go up and down on its own I can have it set in the down position and it will just start going up on its own. Don't know much about tractors but I'm learning day by day on this forum. Any help would be great thanks

Veteran Member

Default Re: 3 point problems

When the hitch goes up by itself, Is the control lever staying in down position or is it raising also? If the lever is raising, the friction washers on the lever are probably worn out. There are many reasons for trembling when raising. Does the hitch stay raised when you shut off the engine? If not, then you probably have blown seals in the control valves and/or the lift cylinder. If it stays up, then the problem could be hydraulic filter or sump screen clogged, worn transmission pump or main pump, internal leakage in pto, hi-lo, steering, or scv's.

Tractor
    Ford 555B

Ok thanks for the response the control does stay down when it goes up, and the hitch will also stay up when the tractors shut off.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

If 3 pt control lever stays at the bottom of the quadrant but 3 pt raises up then either the control valves are leaking/out of adjustment or the load & depth control mechanism needs adjusted according to a JD service manual. Where is the L/D lever under the seat set at L or LD or D? On 3 pt trembling: how long since hyd filter was changed and sump screen(parts key #22) cleaned????????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -rwp1593________un01jan94-gif  

Tractor
    Ford 555B

I just bout this tractor couple days ago and I'm not sure of the last time the hydro filter and screens been changed I guess I should start there first. This is my first Deere so now I'm trying to find where everything's at in the tractor filters and screens. If u don't mind where can I find the filter and screen. Thanks

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Good luck on the 2840. Their hyd system isn't one of JD's better ideas. The screen location is shown in the parts schematic I posted and the hyd filter is on RH side of trans close to plug that holds screen in.

Caution: you'll need to drain trans to check screen. It holds about 10 gallons.

Tractor
    Ford 555B

Thanks Tx Jim I'm going to start there and see what happens