Loader 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB?

/ 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB? #1  

mechatgsk

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060
Hello, I have been looking at purchasing a industrial grapple rake from Erskine attachments, Inc. for my JD 110 tlb tractor. I would like to know would you guys buy the 60" or the 72"? The 60" weighs 750lbs. The 72" weighs 860lbs. I am asking because I'm concerned about the weight of the attachment.
Note: The tractor came with a John Deere 4 in 1 bucket. It is 72" wide. It weighs 654lbs.

Regards,
Mechatgsk

/ 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB? #2  
Since you aren't grading with the grapple I wouldn't be concerned about matching the tractor width. The narrow grapple should be just fine.

/ 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB? #3  
Unless you'll be using the grapple at max lift cap. all the time I think you could flip a coin. That said, I'd probably save the x-tra 110lbs and go with the 60". The 60" is a good middle of the road choice.

/ 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB? #4  
I have a 66" grapple for my JD110. It's more of a root grapple - as such, and is very HD. Just over 800lbs.

The weight is not so much an issue - IMO. The inherent problem that I've discovered is side to side twisting of the loader boom arms with very long (wide) loads. Full size trees or big, wide root wads with dirt loaded root mass.

A wider grapple extends further out from the loader boom arms and can exert more lateral leverage on the loader arm.

For that reason I"d recommend the 60". I've seriously considered re-working my grapple by lopping off the 2, outer most tines. That would place the edge of the grapple just outside of the SS mounting attachment.

In the meantime; I carefully gauge the length of the trees and chainsaw the longest ones to a more manageble length. Keep the load just clear of the ground surface when moving. And only raise the load above hood height (or more) when the tractor is completely stopped.

AKfish

/ 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB? #5  
Some added clarification of my earlier comments might be in order.

When grabbing or rooting with the grapple - especially on uneven ground - one side or the other will take hold. And when you lift - the twist or torque towards the engaged side is significant.

Even greater twisting force when the distance of the grapple is extended outward more so with a wider attachement.

Less so a problem when the engaged tines are most directly in line with the loader arm.

AKfish

/ 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB?
Hello,
Thank you guys for all the valuable information! I was thinking the 60" would be best but I just wanted some real experience. I knew I could get that here on TBN. :D

Regards,
Mechatgsk

/ 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB? #7  
i have a 72' grapple on my 110 which weighs 750 lbs. The good part of the 72 is that it will grab a little more brush and when raking up roots and debris will clear a path the same width as the tires. the bad part is the weight of the grapple. when dumping the grapple it comes down very fast and will bottom out on the loader arm stops with a bang unless you feather the control carefully. I've learned to do so; and even glued a hard rubber block stop on the loader arm stop to cushion the stop. This grapple is 300 lbs heavier than the HD bucket and i really notice the difference on the dump function. there is stiil plently of lift capacity on the loader and dont notice a weakness there.

/ 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB? #8  
i have a 72' grapple on my 110 which weighs 750 lbs. The good part of the 72 is that it will grab a little more brush and when raking up roots and debris will clear a path the same width as the tires. the bad part is the weight of the grapple. when dumping the grapple it comes down very fast and will bottom out on the loader arm stops with a bang unless you feather the control carefully. I've learned to do so; and even glued a hard rubber block stop on the loader arm stop to cushion the stop. This grapple is 300 lbs heavier than the HD bucket and i really notice the difference on the dump function. there is stiil plently of lift capacity on the loader and dont notice a weakness there.

Welcome to tbn, how bout some pics of your setup?

Matt

/ 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB? #9  

Yep... my experience, too! All that iron and mean 'ol mister gravity! :laughing:

I don't recall posting a closer pic of my grapple. Some with trees in the jaws... but not empty.

The tines are 1" thick. Most of the frame is 1/2" with some material on the mounting side is 5/16" - which is the thinnest dimension. Very heavy.

AKfish

Attachments

• JD110grapple#1.JPG
    JD110grapple#1.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 383
  • JD110grapple#2.JPG
    JD110grapple#2.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 384
   / 60" or 72" grapple rake on JD 110 TLB? #10  
Yep... my experience, too! All that iron and mean 'ol mister gravity! :laughing:

I don't recall posting a closer pic of my grapple. Some with trees in the jaws... but not empty.

The tines are 1" thick. Most of the frame is 1/2" with some material on the mounting side is 5/16" - which is the thinnest dimension. Very heavy.

AKfish

Couple things I see in those pictures, 1. a nice HD grapple (not mine), 2 a nicer (newer) 5085M than my 5410, and it has a cab, 3. You still got a lot of snow! We've lost all of our snow and it's supposed to be 60F tomorrow!

The pic is from a little while ago, so we have a little bit of snow still around. I believe my grapple was involved in a hit and run with a semi, though. Still puzzled how all of his other stuff is so nice and this grapple is a POS.

I'd go with the 60" grapple as well. There's a point where the nimbleness is nice. Plus, what is the extra 12" really getting you? It's not like it does anything better. You can still pick up the big logs and the small stick with either. The 72" is just a lot bigger and more unneeded/wanted weight IMO.