John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil #1  

Victory Pete

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320 and X320
I am approaching my 50 hour oil change for my 2320 and want to know if I should go with synthetic oil.

Thanks

VP

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil #2  
I went with the synthetic in my 2520 because then I am able to run it year round and change off of hours and not worry about changing seasonally.

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil #3  
Depends.... where you live; average seasonal temps - types of use; landscaper-commercial duty vs infrequent homeowner.

I have switched my tractors over to JD synthetic. It's cold up here... and I use my tractors for hay farming, land clearing.

I work my tractors ~300 hours a year (2) so, service is just twice a year - Spring and Fall. Going with synthetic gives me peace of mind with 6 month service times.

IMO - if you live in a moderate climate location and only use your tractor for light-duty chores with only 100 hours a year operation, etc. - a good, non-synthetic 15W-40W CJ-4 diesel oil would provide you and your tractor with decades of reliable service.

AKfish

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil
Thanks for the replies, I am interested in the improved fuel economy also.

VP

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil #5  
Just make sure that what you buy is diesel rated. Oil for diesel engines is formulated to carry the soot in suspension, that's why it turns black so quick. Oil for gasoline engines doesn't have to deal with soot. You can tell if an engine oil is diesel rated by looking for the API Service rating that starts with the letter C (for compression) or A. API service ratings that start with S or G are for gasoline engines.

//greg//

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil
Just make sure that what you buy is diesel rated. Oil for diesel engines is formulated to carry the soot in suspension, that's why it turns black so quick. Oil for gasoline engines doesn't have to deal with soot. You can tell if an engine oil is diesel rated by looking for the API Service rating that starts with the letter C (for compression) or A. API service ratings that start with S or G are for gasoline engines.

//greg//

Here is the oil I am considering

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/..._fb_Plus5015W40_0W40.htm#_Plus-50™_II_Premium

Plus-50?, 0W-40 Synthetic Engine Oil JohnDeere.com

VP

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil #7  
Here is the oil I am considering
If it helps you choose, your tractor does not have an IT4 engine. Until MY2012, that applied to 175-750hp engines. This year they added 75-149hp engines. Our CUTs are still Tier 3 for a couple more years, until MY2014 I think. But these oils are backward compatible. There's no problem with using an oil that's rated better than you actually need (except for those flat tappet cam guys).

//greg//

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil #8  
I am approaching my 50 hour oil change for my 2320 and want to know if I should go with synthetic oil.

Thanks

VP

I am in the same boat. I have a new 4520 and I know a guy who works for Reliance Fluid Technologies up in Niagara Falls, NY (Reliance Fluid Technologies). He actually works on the formulas to make Mobile 1 and Shell's Rotella oils, they also crack the barrels to make a lot of other lubricants; so he knows his stuff. He told me to use the 0w40 synthetic because I should get better fuel economy but he stated that the oil will put a little more wear on the engine, but not enough to really hurt anything. However, I only put on about 100 hours a year on my tractor, so at $9.00 a quart for JD Plus II 0w40 synthetic does not make many sense if I only change oil once a year; I would not get the extended longevity out of the oil seeing that JD (per the manual) wants you to change the oil at least once a year. At $4.00 quart, I went with the Plus 50 II 15w40 instead and that will work fine all year around for me.

I have used 15w40 all year around in all the tractors I ever owned: Ford 1710, NH 1725, NH TC33D and NH TC34DA. Never had any engine problems and it can get cold in the Buffalo, NY area. However, I have to admit that the tractors have always been kept indoors in a non-heated garage or barn, but these building never go below 30 degrees.

You can give the 0w40 synthetic oil a shot and see how it works. I am not sure how much better your fuel economy will be, but if you save a gallon or two before every fill up then it might be worth it.

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil #9  
I am in the same boat. I have a new 4520 and I know a guy who works for Reliance Fluid Technologies up in Niagara Falls, NY (Reliance Fluid Technologies). He actually works on the formulas to make Mobile 1 and Shell's Rotella oils, they also crack the barrels to make a lot of other lubricants; so he knows his stuff. He told me to use the 0w40 synthetic because I should get better fuel economy but he stated that the oil will put a little more wear on the engine, but not enough to really hurt anything. However, I only put on about 100 hours a year on my tractor, so at $9.00 a quart for JD Plus II 0w40 synthetic does not make many sense if I only change oil once a year; I would not get the extended longevity out of the oil seeing that JD (per the manual) wants you to change the oil at least once a year. At $4.00 quart, I went with the Plus 50 II 15w40 instead and that will work fine all year around for me.

I have used 15w40 all year around in all the tractors I ever owned: Ford 1710, NH 1725, NH TC33D and NH TC34DA. Never had any engine problems and it can get cold in the Buffalo, NY area. However, I have to admit that the tractors have always been kept indoors in a non-heated garage or barn, but these building never go below 30 degrees.

You can give the 0w40 synthetic oil a shot and see how it works. I am not sure how much better your fuel economy will be, but if you save a gallon or two before every fill up then it might be worth it.

Please explain the more wear statement.:confused2:
Thanks

/ John Deere SAE0W-40 Plus 50 II Synthetic oil #10  

Thanks

VP

Is this your first 50 hours? Or do you change every 50 hours? My owners manual says DO NOT switch to Plus 50 or API CG4 or higher, ACEA E3 or higher for the first 100 hours, since the engine is not considered broken in yet.