Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Default Re: Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhitehunter View Post
    I've been thinking about adding 2" spaces but the backhoe part makes me nervous.
    This new breed of JD compacts have cast aluminum rears. That's the problem. Spacers add no down pressure by themselves, They're merely an extension of the hub. Loader - front implements in general - actually lighten the load on the rear axles. Spacers in general work just fine.

Ground engaging equipment however, typically has the opposite effect; backhoes in particular. Widening the rear track in those cases - among other things - will almost certainly increase stress on the JD cast aluminum axle housings. Yes, the outriggers are supposed to take the brunt of that force. But guess what will go next if one of those outriggers either slips or fails altogether.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    JD 3320

Quote Originally Posted by greg_g View Post
    Check your owners manual, pretty sure the applicable spec is close to - if not identical - to mine. It says that ballasted R1s can be set out to a 68.4" width. The 4" spacers I just installed extend my ballasted R4s out to a 67.7" width. In my book, that's well within JD specs. That said, I wouldn't be as confident with spacers in excess of 4" per side.

//greg//
    Mr Greg,
    Now you have me confused. You are saying in your last post that spacers with a backhoe could be hard on the housing but in this quote you are saying that the JD manual says it is acceptable to go out another 4". What difference does it make to the housing whether the rims get it out to the 68" or it is done with spacers. I'm not trying to be difficult, just understand.
    Bob
    JD 3320, 300CXFEL, Woods BH80-X Hoe with HYD thumb conversion, WR Long OBG2 48" grapple,
    Salsco 627 3PT Chipper, Timberwolf 3PT splitter,
    Fisher 7-1/2 FEL Plow, HTL, Front forks, landPride 6' rake
    Some of my Projects are here: http://www.acdseeonline.com/user/THE_REMDOG/

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Quote Originally Posted by bobsphotos View Post
    What difference does it make to the housing whether the rims get it out to the 68" or it is done with spacers.
    None. That was my point. That is the argument I made to the JD dealer when they refused to sell/install spacers on my 3720. But I see your point too. Only thing I can come up with is that TLBs are typically on R4 tires. And due to the OE rim offset, a pair cannot be physically set wider than 59.7 inches. That's the width at which they'd support backhoe operation. Whereas 4" spacers on R4s still puts the physical width within the JD R1 spec of 68.4", they've not added any down pressure. No threat to the aluminum rear end. But add a backhoe and start busting hardpan, and you've created the potential for imposing significant downforce on what amounts to extended axles. The axles then transfer that force to the bearings, which in turn transfer it to the aluminum axle housings. They're the weak link that concerns John deere.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    JD 3320

Thanks Greg for the info. I do a ton of backhoe work and as much as I would love to have a wider stance out in the woods, I cannot take a chance on doing any damage.
    Bob
    JD 3320, 300CXFEL, Woods BH80-X Hoe with HYD thumb conversion, WR Long OBG2 48" grapple,
    Salsco 627 3PT Chipper, Timberwolf 3PT splitter,
    Fisher 7-1/2 FEL Plow, HTL, Front forks, landPride 6' rake
    Some of my Projects are here: http://www.acdseeonline.com/user/THE_REMDOG/

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Quote Originally Posted by bobsphotos View Post
    So are you saying that the issue with using spacers with a backhoe , as you see it, is the hardware not staying torqued?
    No, I am saying the issue is "nothing", there is no issue in my opinion. I have had no problems, including wheel nuts. If it makes you nervous, don't do it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro

Can't wait for mine to arrive!

Tractor
    3203 John Deere

Well, I've had my JD 3203 on 3 wheels quite a few times, and finally bit the bullet.

I picked up a set of 6" spacers from kubota John Deere Compact Tractor Utility Vehicle Wheel Spacers

It took around 5 weeks or so to get them, but I was told this up front.

Christian was very easy to deal with. He also provided updates throughout the process.

They came in the mail today, and didn't take long to install. The welds are great. Paint is very nice as well. Great product!

The insides of the wheel are now lined up with each other with both front and back wheels set to the wide position. Going to try it like this for a while, but may flip the rears to the narrow position. Have to see how it does on the trails.

Took a ride across one of my hills and there is a huge difference in stability.

Makes the center of gravity feel much lower.

I would highly recommend to anyone with hills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?-photo-1.jpg   Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?-photo-2.jpg   Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?-photo-3.jpg   Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?-photo-4.jpg  

Tractor
    John Deere 3203

Here is a set I purchased for my JD 3203 . kubota John Deere Compact Tractor Utility Vehicle Wheel Spacers
    6" with bolts shipped $427.00.
    Shipped from Cal. to WV.
    Great spacers.
    Lord Help me to be the person my DOG think's I am !!

Problem is those that work are outnumbered by those that VOTE !!!!

3203 JD ,300 FEL, 5 ft. King Cutter Brush Hog, 6 ft. Box Blade, Hay Spear, JD Scraper Blade, 1986 Ford Ranger Farm Truck.
    40 Caliber Glock with me at all time's.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by greg_g View Post
    None. That was my point. That is the argument I made to the JD dealer when they refused to sell/install spacers on my 3720. But I see your point too. Only thing I can come up with is that TLBs are typically on R4 tires. And due to the OE rim offset, a pair cannot be physically set wider than 59.7 inches. That's the width at which they'd support backhoe operation. Whereas 4" spacers on R4s still puts the physical width within the JD R1 spec of 68.4", they've not added any down pressure. No threat to the aluminum rear end. But add a backhoe and start busting hardpan, and you've created the potential for imposing significant downforce on what amounts to extended axles. The axles then transfer that force to the bearings, which in turn transfer it to the aluminum axle housings. They're the weak link that concerns John deere.

//greg//

I'm not sure that's quite true Greg, if the R4 width was the limiting factor with the backhoe I would think that Deere would refuse to sell the backhoe with R1's but they don't....

I don't think Deere really thought about it and the dealer is definitely not going to go out on a limb. If Deere doesn't sell it, they won't condone it or service it whether or not it works from an engineering point of view.

No company ever supports user modifications to the tractor and it's much easier to maintain a rigid line from the company and dealer point of view. That way they don't have to analyze 18,000 different user situations when something breaks.

It's too bad really, the 3x20 series are fantastic tractors and the spacers move them from fantastic to perfect....personally, I put spacers on mine and would do it again....

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Charley
    I think you explained that pretty well.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast