Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #41  
Agreed here... as well. I put SS spacers on my JD110TLB almost 4 years ago. Not a problem - 1.

Hundreds of hours of backhoe work. Most of it on large tree stumps! Makes digging a trench for a water line seem like a walk in the park!

However, I work the backhoe with all four wheels off the ground. Never been concerned about a "catastrophic" failure of the stabilizers or the FEL.

That said; if something's outside your "comfort zone" - don't do it! IMO; the wider footprint and improved stability and the ease of putting chains on/off - and not having the chains rip the snot outta my fenders - made the spacers a real easy decision.

AKfish

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #42  
I'm not sure that's quite true Greg, if the R4 width was the limiting factor with the backhoe I would think that Deere would refuse to sell the backhoe with R1's but they don't.....
Charley
I think you explained that pretty well.
Yeah, I think it's pretty close. The R1 uses a completely different rim geometry than does the R4. It rim has 4 different offset options that vary the rear track without changing the point where the spoke attaches to the hub. The R4 rim has no meaningful offset, hence the need for spacers to obtain a wider track. Spacers then change the geometry by pushing the attachment point out, and that's what John Deere objects to.

Agreed here... as well. I put SS spacers on my JD110TLB almost 4 years ago. Not a problem - 1.
Apples and oranges. Relative to this discussion, John Deere's objection to spacers is limited to the 2x20 and 3x20 series tractors

//greg//

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #43  
Have we actually seen documentation from JD that prohibits spacers on three thousand and 2 thousand series CUT? If that doc exists, can anyone point to it please?

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #44  
Have we actually seen documentation from JD that prohibits spacers on three thousand and 2 thousand series CUT? If that doc exists, can anyone point to it please?
I can't, All I have is a litany of verbal and email refusals from the selling dealer, and their word that JD won't permit it either. They wanted me to sign a waiver absolving them and JD of any liability if the spacers resulted in damage that would otherwise have been covered by the standard warranty.

Having said that, email constitutes writing....doesn't it? Sorta? If that's the case, then yes. It was in an email from the local dealer where they demanded I sign a waiver absolving them of any rear end issues arising from the spacer installation. Pretty sure they same email indicated that Deere had their back on this decision. Needless to say, I've elected not to do business with that particular dealership anymore.

//greg//

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?
The spacers came in today. They look very well cut. They're the heaviest hunks of aluminum I've ever seen.

My single complaint? I am taking them by the dealer and hoping they'll install them on delivery and I'll need to wash and air blast 'em as there's a fair amount of cuttings on them inside the wrapping and I don't want to give the dealer any excuses to dispute installation. It's like wearing torn and dirty underwear to a physical.

I'll clean 'em tomorrow and let you all know how it goes with the dealership. Not that I care that much; I'm fully prepared to install them myself and am not ever running a backhoe or truly pushing the unit in loading.

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #46  
Half hour job to do them on mine. Had very few alum. cuttings in a few of the holes.
Note to your dealer that impact driver not recommended. But there are torque settings to follow.

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #47  
Yeah, I think it's pretty close. The R1 uses a completely different rim geometry than does the R4. It rim has 4 different offset options that vary the rear track without changing the point where the spoke attaches to the hub. The R4 rim has no meaningful offset, hence the need for spacers to obtain a wider track. Spacers then change the geometry by pushing the attachment point out, and that's what John Deere objects to.

Apples and oranges. Relative to this discussion, John Deere's objection to spacers is limited to the 2x20 and 3x20 series tractors

//greg//

The R4 rims are a 2-position rim. There is an "offset" change in position between the axle hub and the outside of the rim/tire. It may only be a couple of inches... but it's a change in the effective length of the "lever" that exerts lateral forces on the differential, axle and axle housing and bearing's.

My reference to the JD110 is based upon the comment regarding use of a backhoe and wheel spacers. There are no "lateral" forces exerted upon the entire transaxle unit of the tractor due to wheel spacers when using a backhoe - if the rear wheels are elevated!

The accepted manner to operate a tractor backhoe -- at least by the training recommendations of the International Union of Operating Engineers -- can be found in the revised edition of "Operating Techniques for the Tractor-Loader-Backoe" by Gary J. Ober. Or online at HEAVY EQUIPMENT TRAINING VIDEOS & BOOKS | ETR: Equipment Training Resources - Backhoe Training, Loader Training, Excavator Training, Trencher Training and Hydraulics Training Books & Videos

AKfish

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #48  
I used SS cast iron spacers on my 3320. It changed the character of the tractor so much that I can't imagine NOT doing it. It turned it into a fantastic utility tractor and i was able to use the loader at max capacity at much higher heights unloading my trailer without worrying so much. It also changed the feel of the tractor on hills quite a bit.

Made me wonder if I made the right choice when I saw it going away on someone else's trailer...

But then, the 4520 will be here friday :thumbsup:

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #49  
I ordered my 5045E with 4.1" spacers installed by JD and the R1 tires turned out to get the widest stance possible. As far as I know the rear end casting on the 5**** series tractors are all cast iron. I can see that the tractor bouncing down a rough road with the wider stance increases the lever arm length from the axle bearing to the rim hub. As torque is force(load) times the length of the lever arm this is significant but as it is a factory option the 4" spacers must be within design limits. Traveling down that same rough road with a heavy load on the 3PH such as a backhoe would increase the load half of the equation so it might be moving the hoe can do more harm then operating it.

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #50  
Traveling down that same rough road with a heavy load on the 3PH such as a backhoe would increase the load half of the equation so it might be moving the hoe can do more harm then operating it.

Backhoes are heavy... I couldn't find the weight specs for the 485 or 475 hoes but the 448 with a 24" bucket ranges from 1420lbs to 1460lbs depending upon the frame size of the mount - 3000 or 4000 series tractor.

The 447 hoe is 1,035lbs.

Now, if you use the JD ballast box with the Quick hitch and fill it with Portland cement you'll have 1,079lbs. hanging off the 3pt.

Or, if you'd like a bit more ballast and go with the ballast box extension - it'll be another 316lbs heavier - at 1,395lbs.

Backhoes are heavy - but, not dramatically more than a tried and true; ballast box!

AKfish