Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #61  
There is no doubt in my mind that JD uses aluminum rather than steel to save money in casting and machining. We can only HOPE they did the FEA to have confidence the strength is adequate with safety margin. .
That's the whole point. John Deere refuses to sell and/or install spacers on the 2x20 and 3x20 series, citing undue stresses on the aluminum axle housings. Seems to me that pretty much addresses the build standard.

//greg//

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #62  
That's the whole point. John Deere refuses to sell and/or install spacers on the 2x20 and 3x20 series, citing undue stresses on the aluminum axle housings. Seems to me that pretty much addresses the build standard.

//greg//

OK, that's your point.
But, do spacers (or any use or abuse) cause breakage? That's my point. I am waiting for the broken parts stories to begin. I don't believe there are many.

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #63  
OK, that's your point.
But, do spacers (or any use or abuse) cause breakage? That's my point. I am waiting for the broken parts stories to begin. I don't believe there are many.
And I don't believe there will be many broken parts stories either. That's why I put 4" MotoSport spacers on mine. And those with backhoes are clearly within their rights to install spacers too. But if I owned a backhoe attachment, I'd not have installed the spacers. My personal opinion is; tractor + spacers, yes. Tractor + spacers + backhoe, no.

//greg//

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #64  
I'm kind of with "jimgerken". Despite this thread being talked to death about what theoretically "might" or "could" happen, has ANYONE had in the real world EVER had ANYTHING happen? Jim and I are still waiting! People seem to be putting on 4" and 6" without issue and seem to be happy with the stability enhancements, so I fail to see why there is any point being scared off. Don't mean to offend anyone. I'm just saying!

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #65  
And I don't believe there will be many broken parts stories either. That's why I put 4" MotoSport spacers on mine. And those with backhoes are clearly within their rights to install spacers too. But if I owned a backhoe attachment, I'd not have installed the spacers. My personal opinion is; tractor + spacers, yes. Tractor + spacers + backhoe, no.

//greg//

Very good... How about tractor + spacers + ballast box?

AKfish

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #67  
Combinations I have tested on the 3720 with R4 tires, set full-wide, since install of spacers in August of 2010 (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...jd-cut-wheel-spacer-answer.html#post2040795):

4" spacers per back wheel + 10 foot RWA disk, 10 acres as deep as I could pull it in low

4" spacers per back wheel + 375 backhoe, on the tractor for almost a year during shop construction, hundreds of feet of trenching, much material handling with loader

4" spacers per back wheel + quick hitch + garden tiller, about 5 acres tilled in the last two Springs

4" spacers per back wheel + quick hitch + 50 gallon three-point sprayer, use on extreme sidehills

4" spacers per back wheel + quick hitch + boxblade with 350 lbs slab of steel on backwall of boxblade, on the tractor virtually anytime the loader is on, for ballast, weights about 750 total. with quickhitch the weight is WAY back from the tractor, large stress.

4" spacers per back wheel + all of the above while traveling down the road at 18 mph, 7 miles between properties.

Still testing, no issues or failures yet. Second year of test in progress.

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #69  
I agree with Jimg. I've got the 4 inch spacers. I've got a backhoe, I've done a lot of boxblade work and tons of plowing. No problems so far.

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?
The dealership installed the spacers and delivered the tractor today.