Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
I contacted Unvenferth to get a part number for the 4" wheel extensions Dirtworksequip had on this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-unverferth-wheel-extensions-sale-feeler.html and got this reply:

We offer 6 extensions for front of JD 3720 (Part No. 16039B) for $320.00 Suggested Retail Each. We also have 6 extensions for rear of JD 3720 (Part No. 16029B) for $328.00 Suggested Retail Each. If you need 4 extensions, we can custom build Part No. EXT-SM for $542.00 Suggested Retail each.

Well, geez, an $888 bump for 4 parts that are 2" shorter is a rather proud pricing structure. Am I missing something? I'd really like a set of these http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/unverferth wheel extensions/P1010654.jpg

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #2  
I contacted Unvenferth to get a part number for the 4" wheel extensions Dirtworksequip had on this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-unverferth-wheel-extensions-sale-feeler.html and got this reply:

We offer 6 extensions for front of JD 3720 (Part No. 16039B) for $320.00 Suggested Retail Each. We also have 6 extensions for rear of JD 3720 (Part No. 16029B) for $328.00 Suggested Retail Each. If you need 4 extensions, we can custom build Part No. EXT-SM for $542.00 Suggested Retail each.

Well, geez, an $888 bump for 4 parts that are 2" shorter is a rather proud pricing structure. Am I missing something? I'd really like a set of these http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/unverferth wheel extensions/P1010654.jpg

Nope... Dan you're not missing anything! They are very proud of their wheel extensions! That's why many of us (myself included) opted for skid steer wheel extensions. Half the cost.

There are a number of threads here on TBN regarding this subject. Easy search - lot's of reading; with info for purchases if desired.

AKfish

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #3  
It it helps, I just ordered a pair of 4" machined aluminum spacers from Moto-Sport. Lighter, and no rust potential. Imagine this one with threaded holes instead of bolts. That way I can use the OE John Deere lug bolts. Including 16 mounting bolts, I was billed $535 (delivered).
$%28KGrHqFHJ%21sE8e-MHVBbBPKCJPvIc%21%7E%7E60_3.JPG

Hopefully they're in the mail. If so, I can snap a photo before they're installed.

//greg//

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730?
Greg g,

Helps? I'm sending you a Christmas card and I'll include a nice smoked salmon fillet if you give me a part number.

Last edited:
   / Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #5  
Greg g,

Helps? I'm sending you a Christmas card and I'll include a nice smoked salmon fillet if you give me a part number.
Excellent, I got spoiled on smoked salmon (and single malt) when I lived in Scotland. Send me your email address via the site PM system, and we can continue this offline.

//greg//

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #6  
Here's the follow-up. It's absolutely amazing the difference 8 inches can make to the stability of this little cab tractor. At the max R4 width of <60" I considered it dangerous. But I took the new wide stance back out to some of those locations on my property that put me up on 3 wheels before, and it's absolutely stable. No pucker factor whatsoever. $505 plus $30 delivery might sound like a lot of money, but for me it's a cheap price to put on peace of mind.

I added the 4th photo - another "before" view - to demonstrate the basic problem. Tractor - as built by John Deere - is roughtly 50% taller than its design R4 operating width. High center of gravity issue. From my perspective, widening the stance lowered the center of gravity.

///greg//

Attachments

• CIMG0115.JPG
    CIMG0115.JPG
    961 KB · Views: 616
  • CIMG0117.JPG
    CIMG0117.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 563
  • CIMG0118.JPG
    CIMG0118.JPG
    985.8 KB · Views: 738
  • CIMG0116 (2).JPG
    CIMG0116 (2).JPG
    958.8 KB · Views: 683
   / Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #7  
Nice!!
Does look to sit well with the spacers. And now you can likely see when a wheel is spinning. I grew up on tractors with no fenders, and have missed seeing which wheel is spinning due to them being tucked under the fenders.

Do you have a link to a site that you ordered the spacers?

Is it spelled Unverferth?

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #8  
I got spacers off of ebay. I did 4 inches like greg, and like he said, it is now a whole new tractor.

Just go on ebay and type in skid steer spacer. they come in a set of four. 2 inches each. put two on each side and away you go for 320-350 dollars delivered to your door.

Mine came red but sandblasted and painted them black before installing. was easy to do red would look dumb.

and beenthere, i agree, it is nice to see if a wheel is spinning which i can now. i have 3720 cab as well.

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #9  
Do you have a link to a site that you ordered the spacers?
Don't know anything about Unvenferth, except that they're expensive. Mine are machined by an outfit that started out making spacers for cars/trucks/ATVs/UTVs. They recently expanded the line to include some compact tractors. You can see their stuff here. Type John Deere into the search box to narrow the selection. I contacted the head machinist by phone to arrange for mine to have lug bolt holes instead of spacer studs. The $505 price included 16 tapered lug bolts to attach the spacer to the tractor hub. I then used the OE lug bolts to fasten the wheel to the spacer

//greg//

/ Unvenferth Spacers on a JD3730? #10  
Here's the follow-up. It's absolutely amazing the difference 8 inches can make to the stability of this little cab tractor. At the max R4 width of <60" I considered it dangerous. But I took the new wide stance back out to some of those locations on my property that put me up on 3 wheels before, and it's absolutely stable. No pucker factor whatsoever. $505 plus $30 delivery might sound like a lot of money, but for me it's a cheap price to put on peace of mind.

I added the 4th photo - another "before" view - to demonstrate the basic problem. Tractor - as built by John Deere - is roughtly 50% taller than its design R4 operating width. High center of gravity issue. From my perspective, widening the stance lowered the center of gravity.

///greg//

Greg, looks great and a lot safer.

My question for you is about the thread pitch IN the spacer for the stock JD hub bolts ...and the pitch of the threads of the Bolts they gave you to mount the spacer to tractor hub flange.

For my 3320 the part number for the hub bolts (M131856) indicates a metric pitch of 1.5mm. All other bolt dimensions are also metric. Did you have to order mm harware as well?