4310 Mid Mount PTO operation

/ 4310 Mid Mount PTO operation #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am looking to buy a 4310 with ehydro to replace my 15 year old JD 755. The 755 with 60" MMM and FEL has been an excellent tractor. I read through the 4310 owners manual available on-line and was quite disappointed that the rear PTO must be engaged to operate the mid PTO. I have been so very happy with my 755 because it was designed so well. Maybe I have been out of touch all these years but I consider the PTO operation on the 4310 to be a design flaw. There are occasions when I want to use the MMM with a PTO driven attachment on the rear, such as using the bush hog. I do not want the bush hog turning when I want to use the MMM to do a little finish cutting. I also do not like the warnings in the manual that the PTO activation must be done in the proper sequence to avoid damaging the tractor. I an interested in hearing from other current owners on this. Maybe I have been spoiled by my 755 which allows independant operation of the PTOs as well as both together. I have other questions but will start with this one first as it is most likely going to keep from buying the 4310 at this time. Thanks,

Jeff

/ 4310 Mid Mount PTO operation
I dont know how to link you to a previous thread, but the one My 4410 is arriving Saturday in the JD pricing forum I agree with your assesment of the mid pto design flaw. Why not detent the selector to safley select mid (click) and then rear (click) to do the same operation its all electronic anyway? Other then this my 4410 is great. The eHydro is a wonder to use . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 4310 Mid Mount PTO operation #3  
That is the way my 4300 works also. The design was most likely changed as a cost reduction. Way back when I was researching my tractor I read somewhere that Deere put together some kind of survey or focus group to decide which features were the most desireable to the consumer. The independent mid and rear PTO ranked low on the list for most users so it was left out of the 4000 series design. The mid PTO needs to be engaged before the rear PTO is started since the mid PTO is coupled to the rear PTO with a sliding coupler in the transmission. Engaging the mid PTO with the rear PTO running would be like trying to change gears in a manual transmission under load without pushing in the clutch. Not good. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the feedback. I was just surprised the JD would design something like this. The lack of independant operation is one thing but not putting some sort of interlock on the mid PTO switch to prevent operation if the rear PTO is engaged is nuts. I guess I will just have to get over this if I want a new tractor bigger than what I have now.

Jeff

/ 4310 Mid Mount PTO operation #5  
<font color="blue">I guess I will just have to get over this if I want a new tractor bigger than what I have now.
</font>

Or you could shop a different brand. My New Holland has seperate engagement of the PTO's.

<font color="blue"> </font> Or you could shop a different brand. My New Holland has seperate engagement of the PTO's.

<font color="black"> </font>
Very good point. I researched the market in 1988 when I bought my 755. At the time JD had it all over the competition for HST compacts, at least in my opinion. Ford, which I think now is New Holland was my number 2 choice. The implements (MMM and FEL) were much easier to take off the JD and the differential lock was under the left heel. All other manufacturers had it under the right heel as in a geared tractor. I still remember the Case salesman's response when I asked him how I was supposed to operate the differential lock and still provide pressure against the hydro pedal. He suggested that I could push the lever down with my hand. Not having three hands to steer, operate FEL, and press diff lock, I walked away. I will look at the New Holland line up. Can you recommend a model equivalent to the 4310?

/ 4310 Mid Mount PTO operation #7  
The 4310 is equivalent to the New Holland TC33D. You will find the differential lock under your left heel. I have the 29, kind of wished I would have gone up to the 33 but I had already jumped from the 25 to the 29. And the PTO's are independent of each other and are live with the Hydro version. I will say though that John Deere does have a little better design on removing and installing the MMM. But then New Holland you can pin the MMM up when using your 3 point hitch. As far as removing the loader I like the New Holland over the John Deere.

murph

murph

<font color="red">I still remember the Case salesman's response when I asked him how I was supposed to operate the differential lock and still provide pressure against the hydro pedal. He suggested that I could push the lever down with my hand. </font>

What an idiot.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

<font color="blue">But then New Holland you can pin the MMM up when using your 3 point hitch. </font>

I have a JD 4210 with the 72" MMM - the MMM has it's own cylinder, so it raises and lowers independantly of the 3PH. That's one of the reasons I went with JD.

I also went for the JD because of the ease of removing the loader - I can take it off in about 2 minutes. The NH and Kubota seemed to require more effort.

I guess there are pluses and minuses for all of the different brands.

Andy

/ 4310 Mid Mount PTO operation #10  
Andy,

Help me out here because this was discussed in great lenght in another thread but it was my understanding the John Deere 4x00 series you could not pin up the MMM at all and the 4x10 series you had to buy a kit to be able to pin up the MMM. Did you buy some kit or something that gave you an extra valve and control? If you actually have another valve and control I have never seen one before like that on a John Deere. I am not doubting you I just would like to know for my own reference.

murph