4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!!

/ 4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!! #1  

OleMiss

Tractor
John Deere 4610 2004
I have a 4610 2004 model 4wd. It had 600 hrs, and for the last 2 years it has had a surging problem. It gradually got worse and worse to where now it won't even go 2-3 mph wide open. It would speed up and slow down , engine rpm never really changed. JD dealers were worthless for help with this issue. Took it to two diff dealers...they said its got to be a mechanical issue with the hydro-trans...I said I've already replaced and checked all filters and cleaned screen's. No metallic build up anywhere. You talking bout upset with the dealers! I was livid that they were so stupid when it comes to diagnosing this issue. They didn't care whether they helped me or not!

I had researched this site but found no one with the same issue as mine. Others were having problems with their jd surging while the cruise was engaged. Mine was doing it all the time. I saw where someone here replaced the flywheel sensor and that fixed their issue with the cruise. I was moving my tractor the other day and hit a hole that jarred it really good and it took off wide open! Running better than it has in two years! I had forgotten how fast it can run! Well, I got excited and turned it off went got my dad and told him it was fixed but he got on it and was back to the same ole problem again. I knew then it wasn't a mechanical problem or it would do it all the time. Well , I got to unplugging every wiring connection I could find until I found the flywheel sensor. When I unplugged it and cranked it and drove it, it ran perfect! Killed engine and plugged it back up, same ole problem. Called dealer and got a new for 67 bux tax and all. Put it on and that fixed it!! Thank goodness!!! Dealer tried to tell me that it wouldnt run with it unplugged because that controlled the timing. I told him he was wrong, he didn't like that! I scolded em pretty good for not being able to help me for over two years. They didn't say a word! I oughta write jd headquarters and tell how sorry these two dealers are!

Anyway, I want to help others who have this same issue. So here is s picture if the sensor.

ForumRunner_20120320_162334.png

Here's is the part number

ForumRunner_20120320_162435.png

The sensor is located on the right side of tractor right near the foot pedals. It goes through the bellhousing near rear of engine. One bolt and it slides right out. Less two minutes to take out. The same to put in.

Hope this helps some other people having this same problem!

/ 4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!! #2  
Olemiss,

I just replaced the same part LVA17409 on my 3120 last weekend, my surging problem was related to the cruise only, other than that she ran great. My dealer was no help also.

Strange, same part different problem same solution.

Glad you got it fixed.

Malvern

/ 4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!! #3  
Yep, that is a common sensor to the 3x20,4x10,4x20 and 110tlb. It is used to track engine speed on the early models along with mfwd speed.
It will cause jerky operation, effect cruise operation and cause an error 12 with a loss of drive.

/ 4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!! #4  
Ole miss witch dealer did you use
I also have a 4610

/ 4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!! #5  
I wonder why my 3120 never threw a code, I find this odd!

Malvern

/ 4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!! #6  
Malvern said:
I wonder why my 3120 never threw a code, I find this odd!

Malvern

On the 3120 that sensor monitors mfwd speed off of the drive gear in the trans. If the signal is fluctuating the drive would be jerky when using cruise and when operating with load match on. The TCU will only give a code when signal is lost completely.

I hope this helps. I know TMI....

/ 4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!!
Ole miss witch dealer did you use
I also have a 4610

I used 2 different ones not far from where I live. I rather not name em. No sense in running em down. But, I do wish they'd make more of an effort to help customers with problems with the tractors they've purchased from them.

/ 4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!! #9  
Jdman

Makes sense, it never completely went bad thus no code. Thanks a bunch for the explanation.

Malvern

/ 4610 Surging Issue- Fixed!! #10  
So my cruise control issue may be related to this switch? My issue is the cruise control doesn't seem to "catch" on my 4300 and the tractor slows down...