Need A Larger Backhoe!

/ Need A Larger Backhoe! #1  

JohnDeere4300

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300
When I bought my 4300 new, It already had a 47 BH on it.

Does anyone know what would be the largest BH that would fit my 4300 ??

I really need to be able to dig down to 9 FT. deep!!... How deep would a 448 BH dig ??, And would it fit my 4300 ??

I looked at a nice used 448 yesterday that a guy had for sale... It looked like it ''might'' fit!... The 448 sure is built a lot stronger than mine too!:)

I've also been thinking about buying a nice used full size JD Backhoe, and with that I could dig A LOT deeper!!!:)... A nice JD 110 TLB would be nice to have too, But they're hard to find in this area.... If you find one, They have too many hours on them and they look rough!

I've also thought about buying a mini EX, But I need to be able to haul the dirt away from the holes!, and I don't want to haul 2 pieces of equipment out to a job just to dig a hole!

I dug a storm shelter for a guy the other day... The hole was 8'x8', and I could only dig it 7' ?... I was at full reach trying to get loose dirt out of a corner, and I broke the lift cylinder rod off right at the weld where the top part is!:)

(I believe it was where I was at ''full reach'' ??, and if you look at the thread in Parts/Repairs... You'll notice that there really wasn't much weld on that cylinder to begin with!)

I couldn't even go all the way around the hole, Because he wanted the shelter near his home.... So I could only back the tractor up to 2 sides of the hole!... I also had a problem when I would swing my Hoe to dump a bucket of dirt, Because I didn't have enough reach to get the dirt out of the hole!

A couple years after I bought my tractor. I dug a pond in my front yard, and it's close to 10 FT. deep, But I had to dig to make a ramp so I could get the tractor down in the hole!!!:D

Since the tornado that went through here 3 weeks ago.... I have got so many calls from people that wants a large hole dug, Because they're going to build storm shelters!...(First tornado to ever hit this County, and 2 young guys died!)

I thought I would ask my question on here about a larger Backhoe!:)... I haven't called my dealer to ask, Because I'm just about afraid to!!!$$$!!!:D

Thanks!!!:)

Bill

/ Need A Larger Backhoe! #2  
I just looked up what the 485 will dig, says 8' 5". Which would be an improvement over your 7', but I'm not sure about the cost justification.

I wouldn't think getting a new BH for the 4300 would be the best idea, seems it would be very costly, for not much difference. I looked up the Woods BH90X and it too was only 9'. I think your best option would be a mini ex, or a new machine.

As you mentioned; the Deere 110's. There are a lot out there that are junk and have been run into the ground, but as the one I just bought, there are a lot that are very nice, clean machines. Here's a couple that if I was still looking today I'd be interested in. The last one is actually from the dealer I purchased from, though considerably cheaper. If you want to get a new machine, I think a 110 would be your best bet, but then your getting rid of the 4300. They dig 10'1" and the big selling feature for me was the creep to repo. of the couple holes I dug so far, BIG difference than getting off and moving.
2006 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com
2005 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com
2004 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

Here's mine. Came 1800 miles away from Montana to Michigan. 630HRS and all the hydraulic options. I got the tractor for $26.5k and 2.5K shipping, $29K OTD. Also came with a hydraulic box blade, grapple, forks, top and tilt 3PH and thumb.

/ Need A Larger Backhoe! #3  
I've also been thinking about buying a nice used full size JD Backhoe, and with that I could dig A LOT deeper!!!:)... A nice JD 110 TLB would be nice to have too, But they're hard to find in this area.... If you find one, They have too many hours on them and they look rough!

I've also thought about buying a mini EX, But I need to be able to haul the dirt away from the holes!, and I don't want to haul 2 pieces of equipment out to a job just to dig a hole!

A mini-ex and a skid-steer is about the best combination for efficient digging and moving. But that requires a 2 man crew, and a bigger truck/trailer to haul it all.

A good machine to look for is a L48. They can be found for about $25000 in reasonable condition.

The deere 110's around me were in similar shape... mostly used up. Also the 110's its very difficult/imposible to add hydraulic functions if they didn't ship from the factory that way.

With the sour economy you might find a dealer sitting on a new machine thats been there long enough that they are tired of making payments on it and will let it go at a steep discount just to get it off the lot.

/ Need A Larger Backhoe! #4  
A mini-ex and a skid-steer is about the best combination for efficient digging and moving. But that requires a 2 man crew, and a bigger truck/trailer to haul it all.

A good machine to look for is a L48. They can be found for about $25000 in reasonable condition.

The deere 110's around me were in similar shape... mostly used up. Also the 110's its very difficult/imposible to add hydraulic functions if they didn't ship from the factory that way.

With the sour economy you might find a dealer sitting on a new machine thats been there long enough that they are tired of making payments on it and will let it go at a steep discount just to get it off the lot.

In my experience from just buying, the L48's were typically in worse shape for a very similar price and not nearly the features. One of the biggest things ones no creep to reposition. I ruled the L48 out right off the bat. I decided I wanted a 110 or an L45 or M59. The lower price for the 110 being out longer won out.

The only L48 I was able to find similar to what I got is below. Doesn't have a grapple, forks, box blade, 3PH and about 30 more hours is $3500 more than I paid.
2006 KUBOTA L48 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

They are really good machines. But, I believe the 110 stacks up much nicer.

And I do agree skid steer/mini ex is the best combo overall. If I had the cash that would have been the way to go, but a 110/L45/M59 is the best overall compromise IMO.

I think the best idea might be to keep the 4300 and get a mini ex.

/ Need A Larger Backhoe! #5  
John deere 310 backhoe for sale - Yakaz For sale

With no experience I do like the idea of a JD 110 BH.

While we have never driven our JD 310B more than 10 miles from the house it works well for us but if trailered you are talking about 13K pounds.

After you do some shopping you may see picking up a good used full size BH and keeping your nice tractor will cost about the same to trade and loose the use of your current tractor. You could sell your current hoe and get some $$$ to put on a full size.

Remember a worn out full size can out work a new CUT many times when you are talking about making 10 foot deep holes. Keep in mind if you have to haul to the job and do not have a one ton+ truck and 15K pound trailer that cost can be a show stopper. As you can see form the search the BH's run $5K-$20K+. I just searched on JD but I know happy Ford (555C) and Case (580) owners.

While 60 HP+ BH's are work horses they do not go through 6 foot gates or work in 20x20' back yards. :D.

There is no "one size does it all" BH's. :(

/ Need A Larger Backhoe! #6  
Why not dig the 8x8 square as far as you can reach, then pour the concrete to the desired height of shelter. Then backfill to cover the sides. Most of the tornado shelters I saw in the midwest had sloped dirt around for water runoff. I know what you are going through. The tornados hit close to me in Peach Grove Ky on 154. It makes you aware of the wrath of mother nature. I hope none of your friends or family were hurt in the storms.

/ Need A Larger Backhoe!
I just looked up what the 485 will dig, says 8' 5". Which would be an improvement over your 7', but I'm not sure about the cost justification.

I wouldn't think getting a new BH for the 4300 would be the best idea, seems it would be very costly, for not much difference. I looked up the Woods BH90X and it too was only 9'. I think your best option would be a mini ex, or a new machine.
You're right!!!:)

To buy another BH to able to dig 8' 5'' wouldn't be worth it!... I tried looking it up online, but couldn't find anything!... The guy who has the 448 didn't know either... He bought a used 4320 and the BH came with it and he never used it... He bought the tractor to bush-hog/ plow with and he owns an old JD Backhoe!

I spent all day yesterday till after dark trying to get caught up on firewood!... I wrote down what I need to do with a BH and had my wife call my dealer!:)... He said the same thing you did, Martian!;)... That it would be costly, and not be worth the money to put that much in a larger BH just to be able to dig an extra 1-1/2 FT..(He's been a great dealer and really tries to help people!)

Yeah, A mini ex would be nice, But I need to be able to haul the dirt too!
As you mentioned; the Deere 110's. There are a lot out there that are junk and have been run into the ground, but as the one I just bought, there are a lot that are very nice, clean machines. Here's a couple that if I was still looking today I'd be interested in. The last one is actually from the dealer I purchased from, though considerably cheaper. If you want to get a new machine, I think a 110 would be your best bet, but then your getting rid of the 4300. They dig 10'1" and the big selling feature for me was the creep to repo. of the couple holes I dug so far, BIG difference than getting off and moving.
2005 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com
2004 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com
A while back my dealer had a nice 110 on the lot that someone traded in, But it's gone now... I had my wife ask him about one, and he told her that he could find one if I was interested!... But I really would like to buy one from a ''private seller''... Cash talks with those people!:D

I really hate it that JD quit making the 110, and I can't understand it!:confused:... The 110 was a big seller in this area!... I've also been lookin' to buy a new Deere 4720 with a cab and BH for over a year now... Last fall when I went back to the dealer to look at it again, I'm pretty sure it had a 448 on it!

Yeah, I believe a 110 would be best for me!!!... I have a 20' PJ trailer and it would haul a 110!.. Being able to dig 10'1" sounds great and that would work out fine!

Why is all the good tractors so far away ??!!!:)... You posted 3 links and two of the 110's are in Montana!!...And the one you bought came from there too!

Now this one that you posted would be nice!!!, And could get some extra buckets!

I used to drive a flat-bed 18-wheeler for TMC... If I was still doing that, I could haul one home myself and save some money!... Just find a dock where I could load it and take a sick-day to bring it home!!!:D

I not worried about trying to find a 110 with a lot of extras... I could build me a thumb and the same if I wanted forks!... And I don't ever plan to let my 4300 go!
Here's mine. Came 1800 miles away from Montana to Michigan. 630HRS and all the hydraulic options. I got the tractor for $26.5k and 2.5K shipping, $29K OTD. Also came with a hydraulic box blade, grapple, forks, top and tilt 3PH and thumb.
Yes, I seen your thread and I think I posted in it!... You got one heck of a deal!!!..IMHO!:)... That's a nice lookin' 110!!!... And what a great bonus to get one with a ''top-n-tilt''!!!

Thanks for the reply!!!... I think a 110 is what I'm looking for!.. I just need to be able to dig deeper and to haul the dirt away from a large hole with the same piece of equipment!

Bill

/ Need A Larger Backhoe! #8  
I believe you are right on track. I've got a ton of digging and stump removal and comparing a BH on a normal tractor and a 110, just doesn't. The BH on the 5000 series doesn't even spec out as nice as the 110s!

When I was looking Montana produced A LOT of really nice tractors. In fact, what took me so long to buy one is all the ones I really wanted were in Montana and it just seemed to far away. Well, I gave in and got a machine from Montana:)

The one in MT for $29.8k is really nice. They put it up right after I bought mine. Although I bought it through Triple W equipment, it was actually sold on consignment, and it looks like this is a private seller as well, which is good for you. The other one in MT is from the same dealer I bought from and a lot more money, because it's sitting on the dealers lot.

<SNIP>
I not worried about trying to find a 110 with a lot of extras...
<SNIP>

I would really look for one with all the hydraulics. The other stuff you can add later, but you can't add the hydraulics, which is a bummer. It may cost you a pretty penny more, but there's not much for comparison with all the hydraulics. The thumb, grapple, top n tilt all wouldn't be possible. It really adds a lot of value and options with the hydraulics. Now that I have them on my 110, I couldn't imagine it without.

/ Need A Larger Backhoe! #9  
Yes, a 110 would defiantly meet your needs. :thumbsup: I don't have a mini excavator but I do have a skid steer, for moving material quick it defiantly does the job. I have used a backhoe on my skid steer as well, I don't remember how deep it dug but it sure was slick. :thumbsup: I got a video of the backhoe in action on my grandpa's Bobcat:

Skidsteer Backhoe - Tractor Videos - Kubota, John Deere, New Holland and More

There are also the larger skid steer backhoes where you sit outside the cab and operate that I believe will dig as deep as the 110 TLB but I would double check. Just another option, I love my skid steer but i also believe a 110 TLB will suits your needs too. :)

/ Need A Larger Backhoe! #10  
John deere 310 backhoe for sale - Yakaz For sale

With no experience I do like the idea of a JD 110 BH.

While we have never driven our JD 310B more than 10 miles from the house it works well for us but if trailered you are talking about 13K pounds.

After you do some shopping you may see picking up a good used full size BH and keeping your nice tractor will cost about the same to trade and loose the use of your current tractor. You could sell your current hoe and get some $$$ to put on a full size.

Remember a worn out full size can out work a new CUT many times when you are talking about making 10 foot deep holes. Keep in mind if you have to haul to the job and do not have a one ton+ truck and 15K pound trailer that cost can be a show stopper. As you can see form the search the BH's run $5K-$20K+. I just searched on JD but I know happy Ford (555C) and Case (580) owners.

While 60 HP+ BH's are work horses they do not go through 6 foot gates or work in 20x20' back yards. :D.

There is no "one size does it all" BH's. :(

Good points. Hate to say it but I think if he can't find a 110 maybe he should consider a Kubota m59 or their other BH that's a little smaller.

JD screwed up when they discontinued the 110.

If he's not going to move it around further than it's drivable the good used 310 is the next option, and a good one.