JD LT155 Won't Start

/ JD LT155 Won't Start #1  

Breller

Tractor
John Deere LT155
I have an LT155 I bought brand new in 2002.
I tried to save some money this year by doing the annual tune-up myself. I did all the usual stuff, oil, filters (oil, fuel, air), new spark plug, even got the left front tire tubed so it stopped leaking.
Got the tune up stuff done, blades sharpened and new mower deck belt installed, and tried to start it, but only got a click. I took the solenoid off and had it checked out and it was dead, so I got a new one and replaced it. Now the engine cranks but it won't start. Pretty sure I got gas going in because the fuel filter I got from JD is clear plastic so I can see gas going through it, plus I can smell the gas in the engine.
I pulled the spark plug, checked the gap, it was fine, then I plugged the spark plug back in and checked for spark. No spark.
I took the shroud off and found a mouse nest in the engine. I got that all cleaned up and decided to replace the coil. I've heard if they get too hot they die, so I figured since this one was 10 years old I'd just replace it.
I got the new coil installed and gapped correctly, reconnected everything and tried to start it. A puff of smoke came out from under the shroud, but the motor did not start. Still no spark today and no sign of anything that burned or any clue as to where the smoke may have come from.
Just about at my wits end. I could take it in to a shop, but I'd like to figure out what's going on by myself.

/ JD LT155 Won't Start #2  
What did you gap your ignition coil at and did you polish the flywheel magnet?

/ JD LT155 Won't Start
I used a business card to gap the ingition coil. I can easily slide a business card between to the coil and the magnet, but it doesn't fall all the way through.
I did clean the magnet side after I tried to start the mower.
I probably should not admit this in public, but I found out today the spark plug needs to be grounded to see a spark. I was not grounding the spark plug properly while checking for spark :eek: , so I may be way off base on this whole issue and I may in fact have spark, which would leave only a fuel issue, I think.
Luckily I work at a power plant with some smart electricians and Instrument and Control guys that make sure I check electrical stuff correctly.
Thanks for the response :thumbsup: .
I'll update this thread as I figure this out.

/ JD LT155 Won't Start #4  
With a mouse nest usually comes chewed insulation on wires. Check it out carefully too.

If spark, then put a teaspoon or so of gas in the spark plug hole and then try starting after the plug is back in. That will add the fuel that you may not be getting, now that you think you have spark.

/ JD LT155 Won't Start #5  
I have a similar problem. I have a LT155 that was having problems starting... Tried replacing the spark plug, then replaced the ignition coil... No luck... I don't have a spark tester... There was no mouse nest, I used the mower Saturday and could not start it Sunday. What else can I use to test if there is or isn't spark without a tester