JD 2040 Starting

/ JD 2040 Starting #1  

WNP

Tractor
John Deere 2040US, 1981
2040US, s/n 418308L ran and started fine before being parked for 2 years. Just replaced both batteries and now get only beeping when turning ignition switch (same warning as emergency brake on). I have giggled gearshifts knowing there is a neutral safety switch but still no start. This sounds like neutral safety switch may be stuck or bad. Where is it located? Could there be other connections or relays under the instrument cluster that should be checked? Thanks for your help.

/ JD 2040 Starting #3  
:welcome:
Sorry to hear about the No Start.
Given the symptoms, I would look close for a mouse nest and where they may have chewed some wires. At least check this possibility off the list.

/ JD 2040 Starting
Thanks for the quick replies:
New 12v batteries connected in parallel. Can't find any chewed wires. I located the neutral start safety switch, disconnected and jumped the wires with no effect. I did find that the wire to a sender (I assume oil pressure) on lower rear right side of engine had corroded off but touching it to the sender had no effect. There is a small gauge yellow wire with a tab not connected to anything but I seem to recall it always being loose and can't find where it would be attached anyway. Ideas???

/ JD 2040 Starting #5  
I let my old tractor set once for 3 years, when I couldn't get it to fire I pulled the dist cap and it was FULL of small black ants, EVERYWHERE! Check for that, mouse nests in breathers and chewed wires. Good Luck!

/ JD 2040 Starting #6  
WNP
There's an auxiliary starter solenoid that may not be getting 12 volts or a good ground. I would also check the hand brake switch or be sure the hand brake is fully disengaged.

/ JD 2040 Starting #7  
Do you have a volt meter. That would be a good start.

There should be one heavy positive wire running to the starter and a smaller wire to the solenoid. The heavy wire SHOULD ahve 12v at the starter at all times. And the smaller wire should read 12v ONLY when the key is in the "start" postion.

If you got 12v there, and maintain 12v on the heavy wire, you have a problem elsewhere and not electrical. (bad starter, stuck motor, etc)

And then just back track from there. Not sure how it is wired without a diagram, but tracing wires and seeing where they go shouldnt be hard on that tractor. Its just time consuming and frustratin.

Also, check the N safety wires NOT just at the switch, but where they go. (probabally one to key switch). Just a guess, but one is probabally supposed to get 12v from the battery, and when in N, feed the 12V up to the keyswitch terminal that connects to the start solenoid when in Start position.

Again though, a volt-ohm meter is almost a must unless you get lucky and see something obvious.

/ JD 2040 Starting
Thanks for the help:

Handbrake is off but alarm sounds when pulled on and this is the same alarm I get when I turn the key to start.
I have 12v on both sides of the neutral switch when in neutral so it is not the problem. There is no safety switch on the seat.

On the solenoid, there is 12v at the heavy starter wire but no voltage at small starter wire when the key is turned to start.

Something is preventing 12v getting from the starter switch to the solenoid. There are 2 relay looking devices with several wires each. Could it be one of these or the starter switch or???

/ JD 2040 Starting #9  
This is the solenoid aka relay( RE170320) that I was referring to about checking voltage/ground.

Attachments

• RE031157_______UN01NOV99.gif
    RE031157_______UN01NOV99.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 3,454
   / JD 2040 Starting #10  
Don't know if this will help, but here is jdparts pic of the wiring harness.

A schematic should be obtainable at your Deere dealer.

#2 is alternator lamp,
#4 is air cleaner restriction,
#5 is engine oil pressure
#7 is air cleaner restriction sensor
#14 is engine oil pressure switch
#17 is starter switch
#18 is light switch
#19 is circuit breaker
#20 is neutral start switch

Attachments

• 2040_wire_harness.JPG
    2040_wire_harness.JPG