5093E burning oil?

/ 5093E burning oil? #1  

MattLynch

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 MF 5612
Just checked my oil after a couple days of loader work (spreading manure) and it is below the add mark, it was full before I started. The tractor has about 50 hours on it.

I realize it is normal to burn some oil during break in but that surprised me. Anyone elses 5E do this. Should I add more break in oil or change it out with new break in oil?

/ 5093E burning oil? #2  
Is there break in oil in it right now? If there isn't I would put it back in and work the snit out of it till the rings set. Drive it like you stole it for a few days. :thumbsup: When my 6430 Premium gets here I'm not changing it till it reaches 250 hours +. I put 252 on my 5085M's break in oil no problems there. I believe the Break In Plus lasts for 500 and the Break In lasts for 250. JD Recommends 100 Hours +.

/ 5093E burning oil?
It has break in oil in it now (I hope). The manual says "do not exceed 100 hours without changing break in oil". I haven't been able to run it really hard yet and probably won't until I hook up my MoCo or disc about 20 acres when things dry up. I have run it pretty hard as far as loader work goes though!

/ 5093E burning oil? #4  
I'm on my second now and neither have ever used that much oil in 250 hour change intervals. I change the break in at 50 hours because it is just that and metal does get in the oil from break in. Check it again on level ground and if it is that low pull a sample and get it tested. Is tractor smoking any?

/ 5093E burning oil? #5  
It has break in oil in it now (I hope). The manual says "do not exceed 100 hours without changing break in oil". I haven't been able to run it really hard yet and probably won't until I hook up my MoCo or disc about 20 acres when things dry up. I have run it pretty hard as far as loader work goes though!

I'd keep it in there for over 100 hours, my 2010 5085M did 252 so yours should too :laughing: But usually the break in oil helps the rings set and other things.

/ 5093E burning oil? #6  
I'd keep it in there for over 100 hours, my 2010 5085M did 252 so yours should too :laughing: But usually the break in oil helps the rings set and other things.

There's a reason that the Owner's manual states that the break-in oil should not be replaced before 100 hours of operation. And, the recommendation is that when the oil level is low; break-in oil should be used to re-fill the engine.

I've got 150 hours on my 5M, now. It's used a quart of oil in that time. I'll use the same oil that came with the tractor and I'll change it when I hit the hour limit.

Even if it burns another quart!

I'll go with the engineer's and design team's advice.

AKfish

/ 5093E burning oil?
I checked it on level ground and then checked it 5 times since then to be sure. It isn't leaking and no smoke other then normal black smoke occasionally. I would guess it it down 2L. I am gong to try to stop at the dealer today and pick up some oil. I am just really surprised that it burned so much within 15 hours of use.

/ 5093E burning oil? #8  
I checked it on level ground and then checked it 5 times since then to be sure. It isn't leaking and no smoke other then normal black smoke occasionally. I would guess it it down 2L. I am gong to try to stop at the dealer today and pick up some oil. I am just really surprised that it burned so much within 15 hours of use.

I would keep a little closer eye on the situation... but, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions! It might be that you didn't check it before on a level spot, etc.

If you notice that it's down another quart after 15 hours of use - then a conversation with your dealer and the shop foreman might be a good idea.

AKfish