Normal start JD 2550

/ Normal start JD 2550 #11  
smbrooks
Are you sure you're reading about starting procedure for a 2550 because as far as I know 2550 doesn't have any type of intake(air) heater or glow plugs? What is the number of the OM you're reading this info from??

/ Normal start JD 2550
smbrooks
Are you sure you're reading about starting procedure for a 2550 because as far as I know 2550 doesn't have any type of intake(air) heater or glow plugs? What is the number of the OM you're reading this info from??

Hi Tx. I'm reading OM-L 39648 Issue D 4. Section 20-3. The cover says 2350 and 2550 Tractors. I don't think it has any of those things either. That's why I'm confused.

/ Normal start JD 2550 #13  
Texas Jim is correct on the starter. Either it is not sliding all the way out, or the teeth are getting pretty warn on the starter. Most people call the gear the bendix gear. A new or rebuilt starter always cured my problem when I had this issue. You could try ordering parts also.

This may be the solution for my 2030! The starter does not always engage, (spins, but does not turn engine). Dealer said it needed a new solinoid. I replaced the solinoid and no change.

I had been thinking of running a jumper ground wire from the battery box ground mount bolt to the starter mount bolt. TxJim do you think this will help?

/ Normal start JD 2550 #14  
smbrooks
I checked OM number and your correct. I checked 2550 parts catalog and no type of starting aid is listed. I think JD OM writers made a MISTAKE.

/ Normal start JD 2550
smbrooks
I checked OM number and your correct. I checked 2550 parts catalog and no type of starting aid is listed. I think JD OM writers made a MISTAKE.

I get it now. Those instructions are for the 2350 / 2550 with the optional thermostarting aid. I figured it out from the schematics in the technical manual. TM-4403 $100 from JDParts on CD which just came today. My tractor doesn't have it. If it did, there would be a separate key switch and starter switch. But the OM says nothing about that and just gives instructions for the optioned tractor. Jeez. Thanks for your help.

/ Normal start JD 2550 #16  
Thanks for update. Just for grins I re-checked 2350/2550 parts catalog to discover that I overlooked the THERMOSTART STARTING AID sections. Darned "oldtimers" must of kicked in when I looked the 1st time.
Jim

/ Normal start JD 2550
And I'll run the ground to the frame first chance I get.

I'm replying to my own post as a follow up. I did run a ground wire from the ground post in the battery box to a mounting bolt on the starter and it completely cured long standing (before I acquired the machine) difficulty starting the tractor. It would seem that the grounding of the battery box to the frame is insufficient over time. I can't say how it was when new. The difference is considerable on my tractor.

/ Normal start JD 2550 #18  
smbrooks
Thanks for starting improvement update after attaching ground cable to engine block. I could never understand other than a "lower cost" why JD engineers elected to attach battery ground cable to a battery box bottom that eventually over time was going to get rusty.
Jim