3320 which R4's..

/ 3320 which R4's.. #1  

jd670

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 - gator cx - JD 425
I'm thinking of upgrading the R4's on my 3320. I currently have the 19.5(smaller) R4s. Thinking of going to the larger ones. Is there any advantage to the different tread design of the larger R4s over the smaller ones? I know the 43x16-20's are 2 1/2 inches taller than the 19.5's. That would give me some added clearence with the belly mower on. What are your guys opinions?

/ 3320 which R4's.. #2  
I went with the taller ones for two reasons; ground clearance and cost. Higher price is almost certainly due to the heavy duty nature of their construction. It's my guess that the shorter ones are intended for those who intend to do a lot of backhoe work. Given that I don't own a backhoe attachment, I just couldn't justify the extra cost.

//greg//

/ 3320 which R4's..
I agree, the big ones look cooler also. I was wondering about the backhoe stuff. My 447 probally wouldn't have long enough stablizers to reach the ground. I could always fix that. I just found that Galaxy also makes that tread patteren in the 19.5 size. Might have check them out.

/ 3320 which R4's.. #5  
Are the larger ones 6 ply?
That is what I like about my R4's, as I am in the woods a lot. Also like the lower center of gravity which is an issue for me.

edit:
From what I can tell, the larger are 4 ply.
I'd be interested in where I can see a pic of the larger ones.

Last edited:
   / 3320 which R4's.. #6  
I've thought about the larger r4's for my 3320 also. But since the smaller ones have a higher load capacity it's kind of foolish to get rid of them for ones that just look cool.

Matt

Last edited:
   / 3320 which R4's.. #7  
I have the 'bigs' and when compared to the 'smalls', here's some of my feelings.

If you load the tires you get about 100lbs more each.

The bigs use different wheels. The combination of different wheels with different offset, plus the extra width of the bigs will change your interference distance with the 3pt. sway links. (my reading is only 3/4" between the rim and the link,that's why I'm buying spacers).

The bigger diameter will mean a change to the tire size in the tractor's computer controller. The default size(circumference) in the computer is 2972 mm). The bigs size is 3287 mm. (essentially if you don't change it the tractor acts like its acceleration is in 10% overdrive(weak off the line)...I complained to my dealer after a couple of days use and the tech came out with his JD computer and made the change).

If you want the looks, not the functionality, and feel like laying out more coin for the new wheels...then the bigs are what you will probably get. But from a functional view I feel the smalls get the job done.

/ 3320 which R4's.. #8  
I forgot to list one other benefit of the taller R4s, relative to ground clearance. Right now I sit high enough to carry 5 foot round bales with a conventional TPH bale spear. But even at max lift height, the bale doesn't come very far off the ground. I've run through ruts deep enough to bottom out the bale and pull it right off the spear. That tells me I have no business trying to move 6 footers. One solution would have been to get the type of bale carrier that lifts from the bottom rather than from the center, but that horse is already outa the barn.

//greg//

/ 3320 which R4's..
That was also a concern of mine to B58. Was mainly curious if the tread design is any better. Now since I found them in my 19.5 size.

/ 3320 which R4's.. #10  
That was also a concern of mine to B58. Was mainly curious if the tread design is any better. Now since I found them in my 19.5 size.

OK, I see the second part of your question. I went to Galaxy's website and found the page on the Marathoner R-4 which is the model of the big R-4. I see the 19.5 listed with a 4ply rating. That being the case, I would say they would be a better riding and better grip than the standard 6 ply 19.5(as long as you keep the pressure around 15psi). Galaxy says they eject mud better and offer "great pulling power".

However, I agree with the other guys when they say if you're running a hoe the 6 ply would be better. Were you planning on loading them with anything?