Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help

/ Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help #1  

shortthrow50

Banned
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab
i titled it 3x20 and 4x20 for future searches for others. I have searched to no avail. Im totally new to these bigger john deere tractors and need to know what to order along with a hydraulic top link. I have a 3520 delux cab so the machine has rear remotes that work off the toggle switch on the loader joystick. I beleive the hydraulic top links only just come with the piston itself so I need to what to order such as:

-What size hydraulic hose and what length you guys are using
-What fittings i would need to screw into the hydraulic ram
-(dont know where to start with this one ) what quick disconnects do i need to fit into the john deere remotes that came with the tractor? Part number or aftermarket website link would be nice:thumbsup:

Hey and thank you very much for your time

/ Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help #2  
Look up mtnviewranch here on TBN he sells the cylinder, hoses, and couplers. I'm thinking its fitritehydraulics.com if not just look him up and he has a link in all his posts.

/ Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help #3  
Most guys are using 1/4" hydraulic hose. the smaller size will slow the cylinder making it easier to control. 36" seems the most common length.

Depends on what cylinder you buy. You MUST match to it's threads. I prefer SAE ORB. both mean the same thing. Both seal with an O-Ring

I like John Deere part number AR94522 Male hydraulic tip. These have SAE #8 ORB threads. Then I adapt them to what ever fitting my hose has. I like hoses with Female 37 degree swivel fittings known as JIC. You can buy ORB to Male JIC adapters. Some will tell you to use NPT National Pipe Thread since it's a cheaper way to go than JIC/ORB and you will not be taking them apart once put together. Choice is yours.

Another thing to consider is cylinder check valves. They hold the cylinder where ever it has been set. I don't see a need, most likely you will be adjusting the cylinder more than it will be moving on it's own. Again your choice.

Finally you might find a choice on the port location on the cylinder. Top or side. With top you can have your fittings at either 12 or 6 o'clock. Side 3 or 9 o'clock.

/ Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help #4  
Or underneath like I put mine.

Attachments

• Top_arm_SCV.JPG
    Top_arm_SCV.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,129
   / Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help #5  
$260 for a complete Top Link kit + shipping. That gets you a 2 1/2" dia cylinder with a 1 1/2" dia rod with a 10" stroke with a working length of 20"-30".
2 hoses with 1/2" male AG quick connect ends and a hydraulic flow restrictor to slow down the operation of your top link. Email me at Fit Rite if this sounds like it will work out for you. Should take about 15 minutes for you to have it installed and be up and running. :cool:

/ Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help
MtnViewRanch said:
$260 for a complete Top Link kit + shipping. That gets you a 2 1/2" dia cylinder with a 1 1/2" dia rod with a 10" stroke with a working length of 20"-30".
2 hoses with 1/2" male AG quick connect ends and a hydraulic flow restrictor to slow down the operation of your top link. Email me at Fit Rite if this sounds like it will work out for you. Should take about 15 minutes for you to have it installed and be up and running. :cool:

Does this unit have the valve that prevents drift so that if you were using a balast box or something you don't have to keep adjusting? Thanks

/ Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help #7  
Does this unit have the valve that prevents drift so that if you were using a balast box or something you don't have to keep adjusting? Thanks
Unnecessary item. "Drift" is more a problem of worn hydraulics on the tractor than it is of a HTL, especially a new one. I got one made to my own specs by MtnView, it was plug-n-play. And no drift whatsoever, even when transporting half-ton bouncing loads. Everything needed to make it work off my existing John Deere remotes was included in the price. If you want, ask MtnView to look up the specs on the one he made for me. He'll have no trouble cloning one for you.

//greg//

/ Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help #8  

No, I do not use the check valves with my cylinders.

/ Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help #9  

short throw50, ^^^^^^^ thats is what I would recommend.

/ Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help #10  
I'd be going for Brian's kit as well. Although I'm not one of them, he has many happy customers here on TBN and elsewhere.

You know the hydraulic side link is very nice as well:licking: