Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab

Default Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help

i titled it 3x20 and 4x20 for future searches for others. I have searched to no avail. Im totally new to these bigger john deere tractors and need to know what to order along with a hydraulic top link. I have a 3520 delux cab so the machine has rear remotes that work off the toggle switch on the loader joystick. I beleive the hydraulic top links only just come with the piston itself so I need to what to order such as:

-What size hydraulic hose and what length you guys are using
    -What fittings i would need to screw into the hydraulic ram
    -(dont know where to start with this one ) what quick disconnects do i need to fit into the john deere remotes that came with the tractor? Part number or aftermarket website link would be nice

Hey and thank you very much for your time

Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Look up mtnviewranch here on TBN he sells the cylinder, hoses, and couplers. I'm thinking its fitritehydraulics.com if not just look him up and he has a link in all his posts.
    Bobcat CT235 with Deere Imatch, And a very bad addiction of attachments

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Default Re: Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help

Most guys are using 1/4" hydraulic hose. the smaller size will slow the cylinder making it easier to control. 36" seems the most common length.

Depends on what cylinder you buy. You MUST match to it's threads. I prefer SAE ORB. both mean the same thing. Both seal with an O-Ring

I like John Deere part number AR94522 Male hydraulic tip. These have SAE #8 ORB threads. Then I adapt them to what ever fitting my hose has. I like hoses with Female 37 degree swivel fittings known as JIC. You can buy ORB to Male JIC adapters. Some will tell you to use NPT National Pipe Thread since it's a cheaper way to go than JIC/ORB and you will not be taking them apart once put together. Choice is yours.

Another thing to consider is cylinder check valves. They hold the cylinder where ever it has been set. I don't see a need, most likely you will be adjusting the cylinder more than it will be moving on it's own. Again your choice.

Finally you might find a choice on the port location on the cylinder. Top or side. With top you can have your fittings at either 12 or 6 o'clock. Side 3 or 9 o'clock.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Or underneath like I put mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adding hydraulic top link to 3x20 or 4x20. need help-top_arm_scv-jpg  

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

$260 for a complete Top Link kit + shipping. That gets you a 2 1/2" dia cylinder with a 1 1/2" dia rod with a 10" stroke with a working length of 20"-30".
    2 hoses with 1/2" male AG quick connect ends and a hydraulic flow restrictor to slow down the operation of your top link. Email me at Fit Rite if this sounds like it will work out for you. Should take about 15 minutes for you to have it installed and be up and running.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab

Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch
    $260 for a complete Top Link kit + shipping. That gets you a 2 1/2" dia cylinder with a 1 1/2" dia rod with a 10" stroke with a working length of 20"-30".
    2 hoses with 1/2" male AG quick connect ends and a hydraulic flow restrictor to slow down the operation of your top link. Email me at Fit Rite if this sounds like it will work out for you. Should take about 15 minutes for you to have it installed and be up and running.
    Does this unit have the valve that prevents drift so that if you were using a balast box or something you don't have to keep adjusting? Thanks

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    Does this unit have the valve that prevents drift so that if you were using a balast box or something you don't have to keep adjusting? Thanks
    Unnecessary item. "Drift" is more a problem of worn hydraulics on the tractor than it is of a HTL, especially a new one. I got one made to my own specs by MtnView, it was plug-n-play. And no drift whatsoever, even when transporting half-ton bouncing loads. Everything needed to make it work off my existing John Deere remotes was included in the price. If you want, ask MtnView to look up the specs on the one he made for me. He'll have no trouble cloning one for you.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    No, I do not use the check valves with my cylinders.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post

short throw50, ^^^^^^^ thats is what I would recommend.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere

I'd be going for Brian's kit as well. Although I'm not one of them, he has many happy customers here on TBN and elsewhere.

You know the hydraulic side link is very nice as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast