2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #1  

Johnny Popper

Tractor
We just purchased an '04 4410 and the tilt steering won't lock into place. I tried to get the steering wheel off but its splined and is a pain to get off. Any one have any suggestions? The lever that is supposed to slip in won't move or budge at all, and its annoying to have the steering wheel flop around while you're trying to drive.

Any help would be great!

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #2  
:welcome:
I'd suggest trying to open up the area for a visual look to see what is not working, if possible. Remove the shroud if possible.

jdparts shows the kit that is made to repair (I'd imagine) the tilt, but the steering wheel does need to come off to get at it.
Can you look up the parts on jdparts, or do you have (or could get) the tech manual that goes through the procedure to get at the tilt parts?

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem
I don't have the tech manual but it sort of seems like something I should probably get. I have been on jdparts just to sort of see some part numbers. I guess something that might be a problem is that when I get the steering wheel and dash cover off, how will it get the lever off since it won't move, since it sort of crosses over?

P.S. thanks for the welcome!

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #4  
I used google to find a .pdf copy of the tech manual for $9. It is well worth the price. I can search by keyword or with the index. I'm curently tackling calibrating potentiometers so that I can get my tractor moving again.

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #5  
Get the wheel off and see what you've got. You will probably find something you can hit with a big hammer and get it free.:D Anyway after you get the wheel off once if you need to put it back together to use it until you get more advice or parts they come apart easy the second time. I don't know about your particular set up but ususally what you are experiencing is due to a bolt or something that has come loose and just putting all back together right fixes it.

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #6  
I used google to find a .pdf copy of the tech manual for $9. It is well worth the price. I can search by keyword or with the index. I'm curently tackling calibrating potentiometers so that I can get my tractor moving again.[/QUOTE

I did that too, if you need any help start a new thread. Mine was the throttle potentiometer.

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #7  
Before you remove the steering wheel, pop open the fuse box and you'll see two screws that attach the panel just above the fuse box. There are also two screws at the top of that panel (it's called the "Key Switch" panel, I believe...since the ignition switch is mounted on the panel). Remove those screws and I think you'l have to remove the tilt wheel lever knob (not the lever itself) to remove the panel.
Once that panel is off, you can get a good view of the tilt wheel mechanism.
I'm writing this from memory...I had to pull that panel off to install a 12v outlet in the key panel (last year).

IF you have the service manual for the 4410, it's all described there.
If not, PM me or respond here and I'll see if I can pull the appropriate pages from my manual (which is for a 4400, but it should be the same or very close to the same).

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #8  
I used google to find a .pdf copy of the tech manual for $9. It is well worth the price. I can search by keyword or with the index. I'm curently tackling calibrating potentiometers so that I can get my tractor moving again.

Do you have the site handy?

It didn't pop up for me, and it looks handy and a good bit cheaper.

/ 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #9  
BTW, this might help...but be advised, this is for a 4400, not a 4410.

Attachments

• Pages from 4000 Series Tech Manual_Tilt Steering.pdf
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,223
   / 2004 JD 4410 tilt steering problem #10  
There were several changes, including the steering tilt lock, when the model 4x10's came out.
Here are the instructions for the 4400 (2 parts) same as Roy's link, and for the 4410 (3 parts). Quite different, as I see it.

Attachments

• 4300_tilt_lock.JPG
    4300_tilt_lock.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,524
  • 4300_tilt_lock_b.JPG
    4300_tilt_lock_b.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 675
  • 4410_tilt_strng_lock_1.JPG
    4410_tilt_strng_lock_1.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,279
  • 4410_tilt_strng_lock_2.JPG
    4410_tilt_strng_lock_2.JPG