Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Are my PTO switches going bad?

On my 940-hour Deere 4210, the mid-pto that runs the mmm is becoming very reluctant to engage. The drill is, you first engage the mid pto knob, and then the rear pto knob. I have been having to go through that process a half dozen times before the pto will actually engage.

Would anybody know what I need to check out first? Thanks.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Silver Member

Default Re: Are my PTO switches going bad?

Does the rear PTO engage without and problems? Certainly sounds like a gremlin in there. For devices like these and with some high hours I would be suspicious of the actual clutch assembly though that does not really explain why the rear PTO would be of any help.
    Might the mid PTO be slipping and the rear PTO slow down the connection just enough to make enough static friction to actually engage the clutch on the PTO.
    Honestly, I am grasping as straws, but these are the first two ideas that com to mind.
    Perhaps there is some wiring issue deep in the tractor's bowels.
    Might have to take it to a dealer to figure this one out.

A few years ago, my 2305 started to lose hydraulic fluid for no particular reason. I checked up and down and NOTHING seemed out of place. Took it to the dealer and they found that my mid PTO shaft had gotten engaged while I was bush hogging. The result was a ring of grasses wound itself around the mid PTO shaft. It completely abraded the gasket but took its shape and with grass, dirt, and a little hydro fluid, it made a not-half-bad seal itself. I would not have found it as it was so perfectly would into place. Deere gave it back to me and I was amazed at how perfectly it fit the original gasket.

The moral: Sometimes you just have to take the darn thing in

Hope it gets better for you

SI2305

JD 2305
    200CX, LX4, 60" Grader blade, 60" LandPride finish mower that replaced our old lawn mower, middlebuster, home made grass rake for long field grass collection, and now a specialized trailer to move heavy logs
    Last edited by SI2305; 04-20-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: mistake

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

JD
    Do you have the tech manual?
    Might suggest getting it if you are interested in trying to track this one down. Being this is the xx10 upgrade, it is a step up from my xx00 with the three stage (engage-neutral-brake) PTO. I believe yours is engage or brake. I'll look (after I figure out why dear wife's rear wipers on her Malibu don't work) at the tech manual to see if I can spot any procedure to help you.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    JD
    Do you have the tech manual?
    Might suggest getting it if you are interested in trying to track this one down. Being this is the xx10 upgrade, it is a step up from my xx00 with the three stage (engage-neutral-brake) PTO. I believe yours is engage or brake. I'll look (after I figure out why dear wife's rear wipers on her Malibu don't work) at the tech manual to see if I can spot any procedure to help you.
    Nope, no manual, and I should have clarified that the rear pto always turns on with the first switch engagement. Thanks for your input, both of you guys...next thing I am going to check is find out if the contacts on the switch could possibly be loose or dirty...I am quite handy at working on things but electrical systems are not one of my favorite tasks. Since mine is an E-hydro maybe I should try just touching the forward pedal while engaging the mid-pto.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Here is a procedure to test the rear and mid PTO switch. I see the MFWD solenoid is involved as well. ??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -4210_pto_sw_test-jpg   -4210_mid_pto_sw_test-jpg  

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Here is a procedure to test the rear and mid PTO switch. I see the MFWD solenoid is involved as well. ??
    Thank you very much for sharing that information with me....

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4310 eHydro,

On my 4310, which does the same thing, it is the seat switch that is preventing the mmm pto from engaging. The next time sit down in the seat heavily and see if it makes a difference.