New tractor ended up in the pond

/ New tractor ended up in the pond #1  

Ron83

Tractor
John Deere 2520
Hello everyone!

So far it has NOT been a very good day! I was cutting some trees around my pond and pulling them to the burning pile with my John Deere 2520. On the LAST one I put the tractor's emergency brake on and got off to hook up the log. Apparently I did not have the emergency brake fully locked engaged because it popped out when I walked half way down the hill. I wasn't able to hop on and set the brake so my tractor went for a swim. :(

It sat in the pond for about 20 minutes. The good news is the engine did not go under water, and the transmission was relatively cool since I had only ran the tractor for 15- 20 minutes.

My question is, does the transmission have a vent tube, and if so where is it? I have Googled for the answer but have been unsuccessful. I'm worried that it might have went under water.

Do you think everything will be okay? I JUST changed the transmission fluid last week...Im really hoping no water got in.

I attached a picture that shows how far it went in. At least it is clean now. :eek:

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20120421_154151.jpg
    20120421_154151.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 1,041
   / New tractor ended up in the pond #2  
Many times, the filler cap serves as a vent as well. I'd change the filter and fluids in the trans and front axle fluid as well. Fluid is cheap. Problems are not.

Consider the new materials cost as penance. :D

/ New tractor ended up in the pond #3  
Just check it and see if trans oil is milky before going to the expense of changing it.

/ New tractor ended up in the pond #4  
How'd you get her out. Did you wade in a drive that beast out in 4wd?

/ New tractor ended up in the pond #5  
:welcome:
Sorry for your dilema. I had a similar run-away once, with an attempt to jump on to stop it. Wasn't good.

I would have waded in and started it, to see if it would drive right out. Looks like you are letting it set in water, or is it out already.

/ New tractor ended up in the pond #6  
Glad no damage etc...whew,I would replace all fluids & filters than check after good work out just make sure.

/ New tractor ended up in the pond #7  
Don't feel too bad. My neighbor and I both have put our John Deere lawnmowers in our shared pond.

/ New tractor ended up in the pond #8  
My son put our ZD21 in the pond.All I could see was orange way down at the bottom.Thirteen feet deep. Oh well, he's a good kid.

/ New tractor ended up in the pond
I feel so much better knowing I am not the only one! lol :laughing:

Lee, I thought about attempting to drive it out, but since it was so close to the top of the transmission I didnt want to risk digging it even deeper. I did get it out. I am very lucky that my neighbor was home and he has a bigger John Deere than I have. ;)

Beenthere, I attempted the "jump on and hit the brake" move too...obviously it didnt work. :ashamed: Looking back I should have just turned the wheel!! It was running so it had power steering! I guess my mind wasn't working at that moment...It was busy thinking " OH !@#$, there goes my $20K tractor!!!"

For those interested, I did find the vent tube. It is on the top of the transmission near the rear of the tractor. There is a rubber hose that goes from a metal nipple towards the front of seat where it attached to an upside down plastic "bowl". I pulled the hose and there was a couple water droplets in it, however there was a lot of dry dust as well. It looks like it may have sucked up a tiny bit when the tractor "splashed". I am going to go ahead and change the hydraulic fluid just to make sure. I love this tractor way to much to take any chances!

/ New tractor ended up in the pond
My son put our ZD21 in the pond.All I could see was orange way down at the bottom.Thirteen feet deep. Oh well, he's a good kid.

ouch! I came to the conclusion today that I am not letting my son mow around the pond..lol

If this would have been just a few feet over I would have been watching green sing to 16 feet!! All in all I am pretty lucky!