JD 4520 & 400 x loader

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
Comments about the John Deere 4520 and 400 x loader. Any cons/pros thoughts on the same. A neighbor has one for sale and was wondering if that series was as well liked/made as some of the slightly higher horsepower models. Thanks

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #2  
i thought everyone wanted a 4520! I have the smaller 3520 and so far i love it. havent owned it long enough though to complain about its pros and cons but im sure others will chime in

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #3  
A good series. Both loader and tractor. IMO

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #4  
For a couple hundred more, I'd look Ito the CX. More capacity ad youll love the SL!

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #5  
For a couple hundred more, I'd look Ito the CX. More capacity ad youll love the SL!

hey man. the guy says it is for sale by his neighbor so that wouldnt be an option

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #6  
shortthrow50 said:
hey man. the guy says it is for sale by his neighbor so that wouldnt be an option

It pays to read the post! You'll be very happy with the X anyway. I'd go for it.

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #7  
Just bought one this year. Darn good machine with a lot of power. It is a very well made and heavy duty. The JD Powertech engine is just incredible, which is why I bought the 4000 series in the first place. My uncle could barely pick up a 2400lbs boulder with his JD 3520 and 300CX loader w/pallet folks. I came in with the 4520 and 400CX loader w/pallet forks and I picked up the boulder with ease; the 400X loader would do the same thing. The 400 series loaders are super easy to take off so you can reduce weight for mowing applications and not burn as much fuel.

The 4520 from 2005 to 2008 has 53hp with a turbo charger and will burn a little less fuel (based on Nebraska Tractor info and testing). The 4520 from 2009 to present has 60hp with a turbo charger and air-to-air intercooler which will burn a little more fuel (based on Nebraska Tractor info and testing). However, the newer model versions have a standard ethrottle feature for the ehydro which help reduce fuel consumption and is great for loader work. The optional ePTO feature on the newer models also helps reduce fuel consumption a little more.

I now have 13 hours on my 4520; I ran it for 9 hours in three days, burned average of 1.11 gallons an hour and the engine is not even broken in yet. Very capable tractor and will last easily 20 years if taken care of.

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #8  
Had the 4320/400x for about 9 months now and they've been great. About 90% of the FEL work I've done so far has been grapple work. The 400x is a powerful loader and has moved/lifted everything that I've asked it to. From concrete slabs, bolder, large logs, piles upon piles of brush and stumps. I would highly recommend the combination. :thumbsup:

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #9  
Just bought one this year. Darn good machine with a lot of power. It is a very well made and heavy duty. The JD Powertech engine is just incredible, which is why I bought the 4000 series in the first place. My uncle could barely pick up a 2400lbs boulder with his JD 3520 and 300CX loader w/pallet folks. I came in with the 4520 and 400CX loader w/pallet forks and I picked up the boulder with ease; the 400X loader would do the same thing. The 400 series loaders are super easy to take off so you can reduce weight for mowing applications and not burn as much fuel.

The 4520 from 2005 to 2008 has 53hp with a turbo charger and will burn a little less fuel (based on Nebraska Tractor info and testing). The 4520 from 2009 to present has 60hp with a turbo charger and air-to-air intercooler which will burn a little more fuel (based on Nebraska Tractor info and testing). However, the newer model versions have a standard ethrottle feature for the ehydro which help reduce fuel consumption and is great for loader work. The optional ePTO feature on the newer models also helps reduce fuel consumption a little more.

I now have 13 hours on my 4520; I ran it for 9 hours in three days, burned average of 1.11 gallons an hour and the engine is not even broken in yet. Very capable tractor and will last easily 20 years if taken care of.

2400# on a 300CX, what do you expect! Of course the 400 loader is going to lift more.

Rob

/ JD 4520 & 400 x loader #10  
2400# on a 300CX, what do you expect! Of course the 400 loader is going to lift more.

Rob

Yeah, but I did not think it would be that easy. Even the NH Boomer 3040 w/250TL loader had a little trouble lifting this same boulder last year; that loader had about the same specs as the 400CX. I was really surprise at the difference in power the 400CX has. The loader is absolutely awesome!