Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    313

    Default JD 4520 & 400 x loader

    Comments about the John deere 4520 and 400 x loader. Any cons/pros thoughts on the same. A neighbor has one for sale and was wondering if that series was as well liked/made as some of the slightly higher horsepower models. Thanks

  2. #2
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    933
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab

    Default Re: JD 4520 & 400 x loader

    i thought everyone wanted a 4520! I have the smaller 3520 and so far i love it. havent owned it long enough though to complain about its pros and cons but im sure others will chime in

  3. #3
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    11,496
    Location
    Upper Midwest USA
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

    Default Re: JD 4520 & 400 x loader

    A good series. Both loader and tractor. IMO

  4. #4
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,687
    Location
    Earth
    Tractor
    Deere

    Default

    For a couple hundred more, I'd look Ito the CX. More capacity ad youll love the SL!

  5. #5
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    933
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab

    Default Re: JD 4520 & 400 x loader

    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    For a couple hundred more, I'd look Ito the CX. More capacity ad youll love the SL!
    hey man. the guy says it is for sale by his neighbor so that wouldnt be an option

  6. #6
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,687
    Location
    Earth
    Tractor
    Deere

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50

    hey man. the guy says it is for sale by his neighbor so that wouldnt be an option
    It pays to read the post! You'll be very happy with the X anyway. I'd go for it.

  7. #7
    Gold Member eagle107's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    353
    Location
    NY
    Tractor
    John Deere and New Holland/Ford Tractors

    Default Re: JD 4520 & 400 x loader

    Just bought one this year. Darn good machine with a lot of power. It is a very well made and heavy duty. The JD Powertech engine is just incredible, which is why I bought the 4000 series in the first place. My uncle could barely pick up a 2400lbs boulder with his JD 3520 and 300CX loader w/pallet folks. I came in with the 4520 and 400CX loader w/pallet forks and I picked up the boulder with ease; the 400X loader would do the same thing. The 400 series loaders are super easy to take off so you can reduce weight for mowing applications and not burn as much fuel.

    The 4520 from 2005 to 2008 has 53hp with a turbo charger and will burn a little less fuel (based on Nebraska Tractor info and testing). The 4520 from 2009 to present has 60hp with a turbo charger and air-to-air intercooler which will burn a little more fuel (based on Nebraska Tractor info and testing). However, the newer model versions have a standard ethrottle feature for the ehydro which help reduce fuel consumption and is great for loader work. The optional ePTO feature on the newer models also helps reduce fuel consumption a little more.

    I now have 13 hours on my 4520; I ran it for 9 hours in three days, burned average of 1.11 gallons an hour and the engine is not even broken in yet. Very capable tractor and will last easily 20 years if taken care of.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Rockgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,364
    Location
    CNY
    Tractor
    JD Cabbed 3720

    Default Re: JD 4520 & 400 x loader

    Had the 4320/400x for about 9 months now and they've been great. About 90% of the FEL work I've done so far has been grapple work. The 400x is a powerful loader and has moved/lifted everything that I've asked it to. From concrete slabs, bolder, large logs, piles upon piles of brush and stumps. I would highly recommend the combination.
    JD 3720 Premium Cab, 300CX, 59" Front Mt. Blower, 72d MMM auto-connect deck.

  9. #9
    Elite Member Rob-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,075
    Location
    Catskills
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320

    Default Re: JD 4520 & 400 x loader

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle107 View Post
    Just bought one this year. Darn good machine with a lot of power. It is a very well made and heavy duty. The JD Powertech engine is just incredible, which is why I bought the 4000 series in the first place. My uncle could barely pick up a 2400lbs boulder with his JD 3520 and 300CX loader w/pallet folks. I came in with the 4520 and 400CX loader w/pallet forks and I picked up the boulder with ease; the 400X loader would do the same thing. The 400 series loaders are super easy to take off so you can reduce weight for mowing applications and not burn as much fuel.

    The 4520 from 2005 to 2008 has 53hp with a turbo charger and will burn a little less fuel (based on Nebraska Tractor info and testing). The 4520 from 2009 to present has 60hp with a turbo charger and air-to-air intercooler which will burn a little more fuel (based on Nebraska Tractor info and testing). However, the newer model versions have a standard ethrottle feature for the ehydro which help reduce fuel consumption and is great for loader work. The optional ePTO feature on the newer models also helps reduce fuel consumption a little more.

    I now have 13 hours on my 4520; I ran it for 9 hours in three days, burned average of 1.11 gallons an hour and the engine is not even broken in yet. Very capable tractor and will last easily 20 years if taken care of.
    2400# on a 300CX, what do you expect! Of course the 400 loader is going to lift more.

    Rob

  10. #10
    Gold Member eagle107's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    353
    Location
    NY
    Tractor
    John Deere and New Holland/Ford Tractors

    Default Re: JD 4520 & 400 x loader

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    2400# on a 300CX, what do you expect! Of course the 400 loader is going to lift more.

    Rob
    Yeah, but I did not think it would be that easy. Even the NH Boomer 3040 w/250TL loader had a little trouble lifting this same boulder last year; that loader had about the same specs as the 400CX. I was really surprise at the difference in power the 400CX has. The loader is absolutely awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. JD 145 front end loader
    By forever farm in forum Attachments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
  2. Modify a QA blank to pickup JD loader attachments
    By dirtracer31 in forum Customization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 08:57 AM
  3. JD 430 Loader Hydraulic Problem
    By jgbanshee in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 07:26 PM
  4. Ballast Ballast
    By JDGREEN4ME in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-17-2002, 10:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.