Mowing Newbie with a Few 755 ???s

/ Newbie with a Few 755 ???s #1  

fishmen222

Tractor
John Deere 755
Just got my first diesel anything this weekend and love it! 1996 755 with a JD 60" MMM and 700 hours. Have service/tech and parts manuals, but no operators (on the way). Everything appears to work as it should, but until I get my manual, I need some advise. I went to forum page 121 last night and learned heaps, but not specifically the below.

Am I harming anything by mowing in high range at the recommended PTO engine RPM, but not flooring the pedal? Low range seems too slow, and of course high range wide open is way too fast, so I just feather the pedal in high.

What can you think of near the back of the engine that is known to leak other than the rear main seal? I have a wet pan that will put a drop of oil on the MMM after about an hour of mowing. Not concerned too much but since the rest of the tractor is in such good shape, I just hate to see it. Engine as a whole is dirty/greasy and am having a hard time tracking it down. Plan on cleaning it later.

I have no service records and 700 hrs on the unit. Hydraulic fluid is at the proper level and clear. Bite the bullet and change it out or wait until 1000?

...and last for a reason (head hung down), how do I raise and lower the dang MMM? I know I will feel stupid when I read the answer, but all I see is a +/- dail on the tranny hump. I can spin it about eight revolutions each way with no movement vertically of the MMM.

Thanks folks and sorry to bother y'all with such rookie questions!

/ Newbie with a Few 755 ???s #2  
:welcome: to the forum.

No problem "feathering" or picking the ground speed with the forward pedal. That is what it is for.

Leak can be from the valve cover gasket, but may not be the only thing. Put a rag in there to sop up the drip.

I'd change the fluid if me, then I would know what the situation is, and wouldn't have to wonder if all is ok.

The +/- dial is just the stop that holds the deck from going any lower than this stop. The raise and lower is either an hyd. cylinder or the 3 ph arms. The deck is designed to be held up with the tractor, and not lowered down on the anti-scalp wheels. That adjustment will come with the manual.

Have fun.

/ Newbie with a Few 755 ???s #4  
I've had my 755 since I bought it new in '91. The mower deck has seldom been dry. No engine oil leaks, but hydraulic oil, from various points, either mower hydraulic cylinder, a fitting to the cylinder, and lately, from the loader quick-connects. Do you have a front end loader? If not, your oil may not be hydraulic oil.

Did I mention that the leak keeps the deck from rusting?

/ Newbie with a Few 755 ???s
No FEL, just remotes. darker color than my hydraulic fluid. Thanks though.