How to remove sheave/ pulley???

/ How to remove sheave/ pulley??? #1  

yelbike

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465
I'm trying to remove the pulley/sheave next to the deflector on the right side.
Is it possibly reverse thread? Whats the proper way to get it off??:confused:
I'm working on a 62d mmm for my JD2320.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!:D

Last edited:
   / How to remove sheave/ pulley??? #2  
The threads are right hand. The service manual says to use a impact wrench. That worked on one deck but not another. The second deck had set outside for a long time. I had to buy a large spanner wrench to hold the pulley, use penetrating oil & use a socket on a breaker bar to get the nut loose.

/ How to remove sheave/ pulley??? #3  
yelbike,

The sheave nuts can be a bear to get off sometimes. I use the following tricks usually in combination for difficult nuts.

Stand and brace the deck on edge then,

1) Keep the pulley on the sheaves. Place a block on one of the other blades to help provide tension on the sheave through the pulley.

2) Put a breaker bar on the underside blade nut and maintain slow steady pressure.

3) If you are careful you can slide a large flat blade screwdriver or equivalent through one of the two holes in sheaves and lodge it into one of the recesses around the base of the spindle assembly. Such that holding the end the screwdriver provides leverage to prevent the sheave from spinning. The longer the tool, the better.

Lastly, put the longest breaker bar you have on the sheave nut and apply force in short rapid motion (e.g. Or tap with mallet).

I don't usually have to do all three, but I usually attempt to remove the nut after each step. Once I got the nut off, I have only needed to use steps 1 or 1+2. Obviously, a large spanner wrench is ideal if you have one.

/ How to remove sheave/ pulley???
Well I got it done. I wrapped a large rope around the sheave and DW was able to hold it while I used a large breaker bar to break it free. Thanks for the suggestions!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• plb pics 095.jpg
    plb pics 095.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 557
   / How to remove sheave/ pulley??? #5  
Darn sheave nuts. I have had them all off. The only result I got from an impact wrench was to have the blade bolts come loose and then the blade fell off and the sheave nut was still nice and tight. The only way is to stand the deck on edge, use a long breaker bar, a firm gloved hand on the blade and lots of muscle. An assistant if available.