John Deere 2520 Power Steering Question

/ John Deere 2520 Power Steering Question #1  

ZR7400

Tractor
John Deere 2520
Has anyone experienced their power steering cutting out while going up a steep hill with their JD 2520 CUT? I noticed that if I drive straight up a steep hill my power steering will cut out intermittently. The tractor has 52 hours on it and I have not exerienced this before yesterday. I had the loader on and I wasn't straining the tractor or carrying or pulling any weight. It will only cut out if I'm going up a steep hill. Increasing the RPM didn't seem to make any difference. I just did the 50 hr service and refilled the transmission with JD Hygard low vis transmission fluid. I have double checked the transmission fluid level and it is topped off to the top of the dip stick hash marks and sight glass. I don't know if the low vis tranny fluid has anything to do with this and I can't be sure that it didn't do this before I changed the tranny fluid. Either way I don't like it. Does anyone have any experience or ideas about how to correct this?

/ John Deere 2520 Power Steering Question #2  
Does this happen in Hi range, Lo range, or both?

/ John Deere 2520 Power Steering Question
It does it in low range. I don't even think it would climb this hill in high range while in 4x4. What I think is happening is the fluid is going to the rear of the tranny case while going up the steep hill and when that happens the pump is starved for fluid which causes the powersteering to cut out (my theory). I don't even know if that is possible since the suction screen is in the back.

/ John Deere 2520 Power Steering Question #4  
I'd feed that info to my Deere dealer and ask for either a bulletin put out on it, or have it fed to the Deere engineers through the dealer for an answer.
Deere dealers have access to a lot of special bulletins that they can't keep on the tip of their tongue, but can look them up for info or recall, or just what to do (but only if a customer points out the problem to the dealer).

/ John Deere 2520 Power Steering Question #5  
Since you just did the service and it was fine before hand, maybe its something you overlooked somewhere. How come you serviced the hydraulic fluid so early anyway. Something is deffnately wrong with your power steering. If that was cutting out on inclines and it was a hydraulic pump issue, then the rest of your hydraulics wouldnt work either.

/ John Deere 2520 Power Steering Question #6  
How come you serviced the hydraulic fluid so early anyway.

The 2000 series have an initial 50 hour fluid change requirement.

Greg

I guess it's time to talk to the dealer. I was hoping that someone else might have experienced this and it might be something simple. Thanks for your replies.

/ John Deere 2520 Power Steering Question #8  
To check and ascertain if you are moving fluid away from the pump when driving up the hilll, turn around and back up the hill and see if the problem is still present. It sound like you have enough fluid when on a level surface but when going up an incline or hill the fluid shifts therefore starving the pump.

To check and ascertain if you are moving fluid away from the pump when driving up the hilll, turn around and back up the hill and see if the problem is still present. It sound like you have enough fluid when on a level surface but when going up an incline or hill the fluid shifts therefore starving the pump.

Good Idea. It doesn't do it while driving down the same hill, but I never tried going up in reverse. I'll try that.