Chains JD4100 wont start cold

/ JD4100 wont start cold #1  

rsmith02184

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4100
I

I have a 2000 JD4100 CUT and it has had many issues as of late. It started a while back with a voltage regulator problem. My local people couldn't fix it so they just bypassed the issue by installing an alternator instead of the dynamo/regulator. I suspected, by reading posts here, that the original "overcharging" issue has to do with the glow plug relay and not so much the VR.

well, when I got it back from the shop with my new "used" alternator, either right away or soon, it started having problems starting "cold". I have to crank the starter for about 15 seconds before it starts. Then after that, as long as it is warm, it starts with the first click.

I have read on here about the need to hear the click before turning the key to start and I can't hear it loudly.

Do you think this could have anything to do with the VR being bypassed or some other issue that may have been overlooked during the initial repair?

Thanks

/ JD4100 wont start cold #2  
"my local people" meaning your Deere dealer mechanics?

I believe the "click" refers to the fuel solenoid kicking in.

Where are you located, and what are "cold" temps that you refer to in OP?

Can you check on the warm up air heaters to see if they are working?

/ JD4100 wont start cold
I checked the electrical connections and it is working now...maybe they were just loose.

Thanks