3320 hard steering

/ 3320 hard steering #1  

3900tc

Tractor
John deere
I have a 3320 with 135 hours on it, sometimes it is hard steering. I even put down pressure with loader to get tires off ground and no different, any thoughts?

/ 3320 hard steering #2  
Oh don't say that man, I'm getting my 3320 next week. Could you have a leak in your power staring hoses and lost fluid?

/ 3320 hard steering #3  
Any damage to tie rod cylinder? Dent or bent rod? Does the rest of your hydraulic system operate correctly?

/ 3320 hard steering #4  
By "sometimes", how frequent does this happen?
Are you using the hydraulics on multiple tasks simultaneously (such as raising the loader while steering)?
Do you notice this at any RPM...or just at a lower RPM?

Initially, I thought you may have some binding in the steering gear. That would (probably) be continuous rather then intermittent.
Another possibility is a restriction in the hydraulic system, the suction strainer screen being a likely place place to check first.

But, before you tear into the hydraulic system, see if you can answer my questions...

/ 3320 hard steering
It has only happened twice, then ok. Just called dealer, says to run it see if it get better, if not bring it in. Warranty almost up.

/ 3320 hard steering #6  
I just re-read the stats for this tractor:
Dual hydraulic pumps ensure a consistent fluid flow for steering and a separate supply to implements.
-------
Also it has LOAD MATCH
So I'm thinking steering and operating other implements would not be a problem. But what do I know? I don't even have mine yet.

/ 3320 hard steering #7  
It has only happened twice, then ok. Just called dealer, says to run it see if it get better, if not bring it in. Warranty almost up.

The reason I asked about the "multi-tasking" is, if my engine is running at a lower RPM (1500 RPM is where I set the hand throttle and I use the foot throttle as required), my steering balks if I'm raising the loader arms, curling or dumping the bucket simultaneously...especially if the front wheels are close to the limit of travel. Like your situation, this is an occasional thing...never lasts for more then a few seconds.
If I set the engine RPM above 2000, I can't recall ever experiencing any problems.

/ 3320 hard steering
No, this does it when steering only.

/ 3320 hard steering #9  
   / 3320 hard steering #10  
In my experience with the 4320, the hydraulics do put a load on the engine, and so even when I am doing light and easy chores I keep rpms around 1600-1800. It just seems to keep everything happier...