870 pto

/ 870 pto #11  
That is a lot. Can't suggest that this clutch is rusted together then. :D

And adjustment as spelled out in hopes that is all that is needed. Next step some new parts, I'd suspect.

/ 870 pto #12  
4,000 hours is a lot different than my occasional use and maybe 500 hours. Looking at something newer might not be out of the question.

/ 870 pto #13  
When you push in the clutch, can you feel the second stage for pto? When pedal is pushed about half way down, you should feel pedal get stiffer. The second half of travel disengages pto. If you dont feel second stage or second stage is less than half of travel, then an internal adjustment on pressure plate is required to get more life from clutch. On 70 series it is possible but difficult to do without splitting tractor. Remove the two plastic covers from the front of tunnel area in front of shifter. On the right side of the clutch hosing is a screened cover held on with two bolts. Remove the screen and inside are three adjusting bolts that you can adjust if you turn the clutch to proper positions. Using a 14 mm wrench, loosen the jam nut on each bolt. then turn the bolt in until you get .060" clearance between head of bolt and clutch plate. Tighten the jam nuts and then try pto operation.
If the two stages of clutch feel correct and clutch still wil not release, the disk might be rusted to the pressure plate.

JD110 - I have the same problem as the original poster. The tractor is new to me but has ~2300 hours on it. PO replaced the clutch just before selling it and didn't seem to use the PTO much. I tried the clutch pedal free play adjustment with no change in behavior. Then I read your post and one on another thread about the 0.060" clearance between the heads of those bolts and the clutch plate. The problem still exists. I can feel the 2 stages of the clutch. with the engine running and drive gear in neutral, I push the clutch all the way in and engage the PTO. There is a grinding noise if I have a PTO implement attached. The implement starts to spin due to the PTO being engaged. All the while, I've had the clutch pushed all the way in. The clutch doesn't stop the PTO from spinning.
Is there any other adjustment to the PTO clutch? This being a new clutch, which looks clean through the side access hole, I don't think there is a problem where any plates are rusted together.
Is there anything goofy the PO could have done wrong when installing the new clutch that could cause this problem? The guys that did it seemed like they had some experience with tractors and equipment, but were by no means experts. I haven't split the tractor yet.

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated. I'm assuming that grinding the PTO engagement every time is not a good idea in the long run.

/ 870 pto #14  
If you need a PDF of the Deere Tech manual for the 870, which should cover this, shoot me your email

Joe