870 pto

/ 870 pto #1  

klog53

Tractor
jd5520n, kubotal3800, yanmar
my jd870 clutch will not stop the rear pto. Transmision works fine but the pto grinds when you engage or disengage. Is this adjustable or do i need a new clutch? Any advice apreciated.

/ 870 pto #2  
You can try adjusting the free play in the clutch...but I'm guessing you'll need a replacement clutch. 2 Stage clutches aren't cheap (about $1500 for the parts, I think).

/ 870 pto #3  
Here is my theory as I own a 870 that has sat in the yard for 13 years. You have input shafts that the splines of the driven disk slide on. Something rusts and the driven disk does not move as it should so it is dragging and causing some grinding. I have my engine at low idle. I depress the PTO clutch. Wait more than a few seconds for things to slow down and then engage. If things do not slow down after 20 seconds then you have a lot of drag. You do not engage the PTO lever at anything more than low idle and not until you have waited a little bit. There is no synco on that gear engagement that I am aware of.

When I did the clutch in my car I had rust from the driven disk where it rides on the input shaft. New clutch came with sticky grease which is kind of like Stihl bar oil and its tackifier. If I had a covered shop I would do all my mowing and split my tractor to inspect and grease the input shafts and pivots on the pressure plate. I have a bad reputation for starting some projects and taking a long time to finish. Weekend car paint job that took 10 months for example. Storm door that took a few months to install after fixing rotten subfloor and outer band. I still have not got the proper stain on the oak flooring I replaced. Too much time on the computer instead of working.

/ 870 pto
You can try adjusting the free play in the clutch...but I'm guessing you'll need a replacement clutch. 2 Stage clutches aren't cheap (about $1500 for the parts, I think).

Not only am i scared of weapons, i am scared of 2 stage clutchs. Think i will trade my trusty old 870, which i bought 20 years ago for perhaps a 3038e or a 3400l kubota. What do you think?

/ 870 pto #5  
Up to you to trade up.
But seems you can engage the PTO while engine is stopped, and then exercise the clutch more frequently to clean off the plates.
Or doesn't this work for you?

/ 870 pto #6  
Not only am i scared of weapons, i am scared of 2 stage clutchs. Think i will trade my trusty old 870, which i bought 20 years ago for perhaps a 3038e or a 3400l kubota. What do you think?

If you got 20 years on that 2 stage clutch (and how many hours?), you have nothing to fear...and the repair/replacement cost isn't bad, considering how long you've had the tractor.

/ 870 pto #7  

If it was mine I would have it split for inspection and lubrication of the input shafts. For me my 870 works just fine and I have no need for anything new. If my clutches really mess up I will roll the tractor into the garage and kick something else. Split the case and figure out what is wrong.

By the way people use rope, hammers, baseball bats, shovels, hoes and picks as weapons. Some even use words as weapons.

/ 870 pto #8  
klog53
Question for you.

For the time you have had the 870, have you used the PTO a lot or just occasionally?

How many hours per year would you estimate?

/ 870 pto #9  
my jd870 clutch will not stop the rear pto. Transmision works fine but the pto grinds when you engage or disengage. Is this adjustable or do i need a new clutch? Any advice apreciated.

When you push in the clutch, can you feel the second stage for pto? When pedal is pushed about half way down, you should feel pedal get stiffer. The second half of travel disengages pto. If you dont feel second stage or second stage is less than half of travel, then an internal adjustment on pressure plate is required to get more life from clutch. On 70 series it is possible but difficult to do without splitting tractor. Remove the two plastic covers from the front of tunnel area in front of shifter. On the right side of the clutch hosing is a screened cover held on with two bolts. Remove the screen and inside are three adjusting bolts that you can adjust if you turn the clutch to proper positions. Using a 14 mm wrench, loosen the jam nut on each bolt. then turn the bolt in until you get .060" clearance between head of bolt and clutch plate. Tighten the jam nuts and then try pto operation.
If the two stages of clutch feel correct and clutch still wil not release, the disk might be rusted to the pressure plate.

/ 870 pto
klog53
Question for you.

For the time you have had the 870, have you used the PTO a lot or just occasionally?

How many hours per year would you estimate?

have averaged over 200hr.s/year for 20years using the pto constantly