Default Hydraulic quick disconnect problem

Hello guys,
    I am a long time lurker and now I need some help. I unhooked my backhoe and hooked up my three point hitch to move my rototiller. When I went back to hook up my backhoe I could not attach one of the hydraulic lines. The one I cannot reconnect is the hard to reach male that comes off the back of the tractor. The female end from the backhoe does not go back on. I have released the hydraulic pressure,I pressed in the ends of the fittings to release the pressure and only a little dribble came out of the female from the backhoe. Nothing came out of the male fitting on the tractor. I can connect the female to the male fitting on the backhoe without any problems. The two male ends appear different to me and the female is a different brand(Pioneer) from the other fittings(Faster) on the tractor. The first Pic is the male from the tractor. The second pic is the male that I can attach to easily. The Third pic is the female from the backhoe. Do I just need more rocks in my pockets or is something wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3251-jpg   -img_3253-jpg   -img_3252-jpg  

Platinum Member

Default Re: Hydraulic quick disconnect problem

You said it was connected and now won't reconnect? It looks like two incompatable male ends, one has a longer shoulder from the end to the groove for the detents as well as a slightly different style of groove......Mike

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

I'll bet the ends are different so they can only be attached and work when properly matched similar to "color coding".

It was connected. That is the thing that has me perplexed. The other fittings pop together easily and quickly. I do not have another female end to try out. I am headed to town to look for the fittings. Wish me luck on Sunday in a town of 5000. I'm sure all the hydraulic shops are closed.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320 John Deere X739

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    I'll bet the ends are different so they can only be attached and work when properly matched similar to "color coding".
    Yep, on my backhoe the backhoe female would attach to the pic 1 male and nothing would attach to pic 2 male, just a dust cap.

Tractor
    '06 John Deere 3320

Can't tell much from your pictures or info, but if the tractor is similar to a 3320 follow the instructions below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -capture-jpg  
    '06 John Deere 3320

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4120

I had a similar issue with my 448 backhoe. I needed to tap the poppet tip of the male hose to release some minor pressure that kept me from making the connect. I don't know if it was from temperature rise or from the bucket sagging. You might want to cycle the BH controls as well. Mine hooked right up after I did this.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, I went to my local auto parts store and purchased a male end that fits the female. Everything works great now. I really appreciate the expertise I find on this site. Thank you

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JDs:

Quote Originally Posted by GalwayBoy View Post
    I had a similar issue with my 448 backhoe. I needed to tap the poppet tip of the male hose to release some minor pressure that kept me from making the connect. I don't know if it was from temperature rise or from the bucket sagging. You might want to cycle the BH controls as well. Mine hooked right up after I did this.
    Hope this helps.
    that's what i was going to suggest to. ask me how i know