john deere m overheating

/ john deere m overheating #2  
:welcome: raynorgilliam

Any problems that you are aware of leading up to this? radiator clean?

Any loss of water?

Any water in the oil?

Checked for a thermostat? Apparently not one there.

Radiator plugged with sludge?

No water pump, so relies on gravity flow, and good cooling in the radiator to keep the circulation going down through the radiator.

Tell us more about it.

Last edited:
   / john deere m overheating
just got the tractor 3 weeks ago took body parts off and radiator. replaced belts and painted entire tractor. I did not paint the radiator i know that was yalls first thought when i said painted. Noticed that there was a piece of the radiator cap broke and was inside the water reservoir. shook it out also the rubber seal on the cap is crap. Put everything back together and tighted clamps on water and air hoses. when i started the tractor it was skipping but that was a miner timing issue.tractor runs like a top perfect. but after a few min maybe 10 or more temp goes high according to gauge about 212 just past 210 on the gauge. there was no load on it. next day filled with water and coolant more water then coolant though. my method was i poured in coolant then filled with water about 2 inches from top of cap. drove it down the road about 2 miles and it did not get that hot only about 170 or 180 intill the last few 10ths of trip then it went on up to 212 215.tractor was not shooting out steam and no sound of bubbling. then when at my parents dragged a distant size log and it stayed at 212 215 but when i shut if off started to blow a little steam from cap gauge stayed the same reading. noticed today that the water level had dropped and noticed a little leaked from the fin area of the radiator. my guess is the cap is bad and need to take the radiator to shop get the leak fixed. but im thinking the cap is the issue. what yall think.

/ john deere m overheating #4  
Thinking a couple possibilities....besides the cap.
Coolant (not sure what that is) should be mixed no more than 50:50 if the coolant is anti-freeze. But I suspect the real problem is blockage and not getting good coolant flow. If taking it to a radiator shop, they should be able to check the flow (or maybe you can do yourself when the lower radiator hose is off to see if water in the top flows through the block easily, and if water flows easily through the radiator.

/ john deere m overheating #5  
Does your M have a water pump? If it is a thermo siphon you need to mix the antifreeze and the water together before you put it in the radiator. Don't ask me why but I have heard of it before.

/ john deere m overheating #6  
check your timing again I made that mistake first time I tuned one. overheated the same way you describe.

/ john deere m overheating #7  
Coolant at -40 F with a 15 lb preasure cap will hold 243F temperature.
Any time you have an overheating issue, the first thing you want to check is the rad cap. Also make sure the cap you get is good, the little flat valve when you push up on the main rubber must be tight.
There are lots of them out there that are junk.
If the neck on the rad is bad a rad shop can repair and or replace that. While it is at the shop get the rad cleaned, it is cheap, and tested. They will paint it with a tar, then put on a 3/16 inch, metal bug screen.
When you refill it take it to -40F it cools better.

/ john deere m overheating
does anyone know the exact mixture or ratio of water and coolant for the john deere m. i do not have a book.

/ john deere m overheating #9  
Usually mix half and half for a 30-40 below protection. Seems that would be a bit rich for NC. How cold does it get in the worst part of a winter...normally?

Likely there is a chart on the anti-freeze jug.