110TLB won't crank

/ 110TLB won't crank #1  

sweetjeep

Bronze Member
Hey folks.

Curious if anyone has a thought on this.

My 110TLB won't crank. The system as a whole has power. There is power getting to the starter solenoid (the power to the main power lug). And it is grounded properly (through the starter).

Naturally the solenoid is oriented in such a fashion that I can't get a jumper cable to the inside to bypass the solenoid and spin the starter directly.

I also seem to recall a 'click' when I turn the key to the run position before the starter cranks. So I am wondering if there is a relay somewhere between the key and then starter and if this relay closes and sends the 12v to the solenoid to close it. Assuming this is true, I should be able to jump the 2 red wires at the connector on the solenoid correct and this will tell me is the solenoid is working. If I leave main power connected to the solenoid this will tell me if the starter motor itself is good also.

Which would then tell me that either the key switch is the relay (I have my doubts) or that an actual relay is in the system somewhere and that's the issue.

My thinking is correct right?

Thanks!

/ 110TLB won't crank
Hmm.. I rethought the question. The 2 reds with a connector go to the main power lug. So they already have 12v applied and they are actually taking power somewhere else.

There is a separate white wire that I am thinking should be the starter 'go' point.

So I correct my thinking above and ponder that if I jump 12v into the white wire THAT should ignite the solenoid.

/ 110TLB won't crank #3  
Sweetjeep,

Here is a schematic that may help. Make sure the PTO switch is off.

Good luck

/ 110TLB won't crank
Thanks.. I'll double check the PTO! You bring a valid and legit point to the table since I have a 3 year old! :)

I keep meaning to get a service manual, but I never think about it until something breaks!

/ 110TLB won't crank
Ray,

Thank you for the schematic. I'll store that somewhere safe.

I also thank you for being able to be rational where I had lost that ability and ASSuMEd something was broken.

From 20' away I could see that the PTO was pulled up. No doubt as a result of the wandering hands of a 3 year old.

If you care to.. PM me the details of your favorite watering hole and I'll be happy to buy you a beer!

Thank you kindly!

/ 110TLB won't crank #6  
sweetjeep,

Always glad to help a fellow 110 owner! :thumbsup: Don't ever think your the only one to assume it's more complicated than it really is, it's our nature. :laughing:

FWIW, the JD technical manual is expensive, but with the hassle of getting something to a dealer, and their shop rates, it can pay for itself pretty easily. It's cheapest if you get the CD version in .pdf format. It was about 65 dollars.

Hard to imagine how complex these little machines are!

Thanks for the offer :drink:

/ 110TLB won't crank
Is it safe to assume you have bought the manual? If so, where did you get yours from? I was trying to find a place that I could get the PDF but no (immediate) luck in finding it.

And yes, I agree on the shop. Especially since in my case I discovered it was "broken" on a Sunday afternoon. Which, as a rule, is when things break. ;)

sweetjeep,

Always glad to help a fellow 110 owner! :thumbsup: Don't ever think your the only one to assume it's more complicated than it really is, it's our nature. :laughing:

FWIW, the JD technical manual is expensive, but with the hassle of getting something to a dealer, and their shop rates, it can pay for itself pretty easily. It's cheapest if you get the CD version in .pdf format. It was about 65 dollars.

Hard to imagine how complex these little machines are!

Thanks for the offer :drink:

/ 110TLB won't crank #8  
Is it safe to assume you have bought the manual? If so, where did you get yours from?

I did, from John Deere Bookstore

I bought the Technical Manual, Parts Catalog, and a Operators Manual. I got them on CD, and they are in .pdf format. They were around $125 or so, well worth it for me. I like having them electronically, so I can use the indexes, print pages, and so forth. The TM is amazing in how it details out the operation of every single system in great detail.

Some people say they would never pay for stuff like that, but with the cost of the machines, parts and dealer labor, I can't ever believe they don't pay for themselves.

Plus, I'm just a geek, and I want to know as much as I can. :D

/ 110TLB won't crank #9  
sweetjeep, check your messages

Joe

/ 110TLB won't crank #10  
Sweetjeep, don't know if this will help but I had a problem on my 06 3720 that suddenly, without warning wouldn't crank. I got a click when trying to start and the headlights worked. Jumping with my truck battery didn't work. It would try to turn over once, and that was it. Long story short, it was a shorted cell in the battery. Dealer replaced battery and it lasted about a year. Same problem, a shorted cell. This time I got a JD Strongbox battery, and it has lasted about 3 years.

good luck, Dave