John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question #1  

rjkennedy

Tractor
Ford 8N
I recently purchased a Model FB Von Braunt 13 hole drill. I have two questions I hope someone can answer. First, three of the large, steel seed tubes were damaged and John Deere gave me ribbed rubber hoses to replace the steel, each with a small clip. The problem I have is they didn't show me how to replace them. I have removed the old steel tubes but don't know how to secure the new rubber ones or where the clips go.

Second, I am using this drill for sunflowers and would like to plug every other seed hole so I have a wider row. I don't know what to plug the holes with.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ryan

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question #2  
:welcome: to the forum

The Model FB can be found in jdparts.com (free registration) and visuals of where all the parts are as well as a parts list.

Might have to jury-rig how to hang the newer replacement parts.

Also might be a way to remove every other gear so those plates don't move and drop seed.

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question #3  
I recently purchased a Model FB Von Braunt 13 hole drill. I have two questions I hope someone can answer. First, three of the large, steel seed tubes were damaged and John Deere gave me ribbed rubber hoses to replace the steel, each with a small clip. The problem I have is they didn't show me how to replace them. I have removed the old steel tubes but don't know how to secure the new rubber ones or where the clips go.

Second, I am using this drill for sunflowers and would like to plug every other seed hole so I have a wider row. I don't know what to plug the holes with.

Ryan

Can't help with the tubes but you can either fit tin covers or cardboard and duct tape over every other one to give wider row spacing.:)

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question #4  
Duct tape is the easiest for blocking every other hole. Cardboard might give it a little better supprt.

--->PAul

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question #5  
JD offers some pop-in plastic feed stops for grain drills.
M60725 FEED STOP ADD 2.52 USD

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question #6  
:welcome: to the forum

Also might be a way to remove every other gear so those plates don't move and drop seed.

Removing any gears won't work but plastic feed hole stoppers will. FYI no plates move to drop seed as it's probably a fluted feed(little feed wheels) type drill.

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question #7  

Ryan

Use tape (duct tape, packaging tape, etc) to cover the holes.
Just drill holes in the rubber hoses and wire them to the bottom of the seed cups.
My drill is an old Minnepolis Moline P3-6 (10-ft wide, 20 drops, single disc openers) that I restored a few years ago.

Drill-3.JPGDrill--4.JPGDrill-5.jpgDrill-6.JPG

Good luck

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question
thanks for all the help. One more question, does anyone know what the settings would be to plant sunflowers?

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question #9  
How many acres do you plan to plant? How much seed per acre? And is there any difference in seed from one variety to another?

/ John Deere Grain Drill Model FB Question
I'm planting about 5 acres and sunflowers should be planted around 15 pounds to the acre. I just don't know what the seed settings should be. All the seeds are pretty much the same size.