Mowing 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3"

/ 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3"
the deck just 'almost' hits the frame - its very, very close - but does NOT contact the frame

to get it in the locked position i do have to raise the 3pt lever into the highest position and hold it there and then turn the knob so it locks.. the 'normal' up position is not high enough to get it into the locked position

Ill have to check to see how far away the frame is in the 'locked' position - IIRC - it drops only about 3/4" or so at most from when you lower the 3pt while the deck is locked up.

to get the deck to lock I adjusted the threaded rod that goes from the 3pt to the MMM frame

My tractor is a 2006 model.

brian

The way mine came I couldnt get the knob to turn to the lock position even if I forced the 3ph lever all the way up. I dont have the threaded link rod so I drilled a new hole to make it longer. it then worked but my hole was to high now. I have ordered a new link and I am going to have a macine shop put threads on it. So obviously something has changed through the years, very typical. I call it product "Deprovement" happens to most products these days.

VP

I owned a 2320 for 5 years with a 62D deck & mechanical lift. The blades would raise to over 5" above the ground. You can adjust the 2 yokes up, that connect to the lift arms. Number 3B in the upper picture below. You can also adjust the yoke that is on the rod that runs from the 3 pt hitch arm to the mid rock shaft. Number 21 in the middle picture below.

Also the the 3 pt draft links can be set to different positions at the lift links. This changes how high the draft links raise. Lower picture. This would also change how high the mower deck raises.

DeckLift.gif

DeckLift1.gif

3ptHitch.gif

My yokes are set to the highest position. I looked into adjusting the 3 PH draw arm positions, that wont work because the linkage itself is connected to 1 of the 2 lifting levers that are connected directly to the transmission.

VP

I owned a 2320 for 5 years with a 62D deck & mechanical lift. The blades would raise to over 5" above the ground. You can adjust the 2 yokes up, that connect to the lift arms. Number 3B in the upper picture below. You can also adjust the yoke that is on the rod that runs from the 3 pt hitch arm to the mid rock shaft. Number 21 in the middle picture below.

Also the the 3 pt draft links can be set to different positions at the lift links. This changes how high the draft links raise. Lower picture. This would also change how high the mower deck raises.

DeckLift.gif

DeckLift1.gif

3ptHitch.gif

BTW, look at #6 in the top diagram, that is the left hand side lifting arm. See the offset in it, that is supposed to be going down to clear a hydraulic line. It is a design flaw. As it is now it actually will hit the line sooner than if it had no offset. Unbelievable! I gently pulled my hydraulic line out of the way so it will clear. Also see #20 in the middle diagram, they are now solid with no adjustment. I am still amazed at how "Careless" John Deere can be.

VP

PS I also just noticed in the top picture there are 2 different yokes, the ones I have are the longer ones with threads, it looks like the shorter ones have minimal thread, with those you cant level the deck from side to side.

Last edited:
   / 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3" #34  
Thanks Chevy for posting those diagrams..

IF you adjust the 3B yokes (top pic) - be careful too much adjustment here to gain more LIFT will cause it to be out of adjustment another way (uneven side to side/front to rear)

I gained the height I needed to use the lock position using the #21/#23 in the middle pic

/ 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3" #35  
My tractor/deck came with the 3A and 4A yokes. They are a cast metal type. Both of mine have broken over the years and the new part is the 3B & 4B yokes. Naturally the new yoke (4B) will not thread into the older 3A part because of a different thread pitch, so you have to get both new parts (3&4B) when one breaks. Both the new and old style yokes have the same length threaded area.

Thanks Chevy for posting those diagrams..

IF you adjust the 3B yokes (top pic) - be careful too much adjustment here to gain more LIFT will cause it to be out of adjustment another way (uneven side to side/front to rear)

I gained the height I needed to use the lock position using the #21/#23 in the middle pic

That is why I need to find one that is just like in the picture or make my own threads on a new one. I cant get enough height to turn the knob all the way around unobstructed.

VP

My tractor/deck came with the 3A and 4A yokes. They are a cast metal type. Both of mine have broken over the years and the new part is the 3B & 4B yokes. Naturally the new yoke (4B) will not thread into the older 3A part because of a different thread pitch, so you have to get both new parts (3&4B) when one breaks. Both the new and old style yokes have the same length threaded area.

Okay so that explains the 2 different yokes, thanks. I think I am going to extend the threads on mine to get more height.

VP

I just tweaked my yokes! (it was fun). I will gain 3/4" in cutting height so now my height knob will be more realistic, H will now mean 3/4" higher. I cut them and threaded them by hand, it took a while but will be worth it. You can see the before and after in the photo. I am going to install them and level the deck (again) and see how it goes.

VP

Attachments

• Yokes 003.JPG
    Yokes 003.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 232
Success! My height now is 2 1/2" at the center M knob position and 4" at the H postion. I still need the adjustable 3PH link so I can get the small amount of height so I can fully spin the knob. The clearance to the frame is 1/2" no, not the 1/16" factory spec but pefectly acceptable. My deck is now high enough for transport without it needlessly being too low like it was stock. I do have to make sure that I still have clearance with the erroneous offset in the left hand lifting arm, I think I will wrap the hydraulic line with rubber and electrical tape for a safety buffer. You would think John Deere could have figured this out themselves, shame on them.

VP

Update, my ideal 2 1/2" knob setting has been "Promoted" up a couple notches. Even though I added as much thread as possible to the yoke link, I had to back off some of the threads so the arms will drop low enough for the deck to rest on the ground for installation. But I did get an improvement.

VP