Mowing 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3"

/ 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3" #1  

Victory Pete

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320 and X320
I am struggling to adjust my 62D to go higher than 3" on my 2320. it seems there are some design flaws in the mechanism. Any one have any experience with this?

Thanks
VP

Attachments

• 2320 62D 038.JPG
    2320 62D 038.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 435
   / 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3" #2  
Put larger tires on to get more height. ;)
Does it come up against the frame at its present adjustment?

Last edited:
   / 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3"
Put larger tires on to get more height.
3" is close to max height. Does it come up against the frame at its present adjustment?

No, there is about 3 inches clearance to the frame, the manual says to adjust until there is only 1/16". there is definitely something wrong here, and I think it is in the design. I am working on a "Work Around".

VP

/ 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3" #4  
More info please. If there is a gap between the mower "uplimit" tab and the frame when the mower is in the full up lock position, why don't you adjust it?

All you have to do is adjust the two lift mechanism turnbuckles until you get to within 1/16 of the frame. Then you should have the full range. For what it's worth, mine won't mow at the advertised 6 inch height unless you have it in the locked up position, but it does have a reasonable range when adjusted correctly. (Note: I figured it out and adjusted it myself after the dealer couldn't get it right in two tries.)

/ 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3" #5  
I had the same issue with my 3520 with 72 inch deck. I pulled out the manual and looked a few things over and noticed the dealer did a crappy job setting the deck up. The lift was adjusted wayyyy incorrectly. I had to take up a lot of slack and now the deck lifts up several inches higher and comes within an 1/8 of an inch of hitting the stops. Thats where it is supposed to be according to my manual. Maybe you have the same issue. Look at your mower deck manual. Takes about 10 minutes to correct the issue if this is your problem

I had the same issue with my 3520 with 72 inch deck. I pulled out the manual and looked a few things over and noticed the dealer did a crappy job setting the deck up. The lift was adjusted wayyyy incorrectly. I had to take up a lot of slack and now the deck lifts up several inches higher and comes within an 1/8 of an inch of hitting the stops. Thats where it is supposed to be according to my manual. Maybe you have the same issue. Look at your mower deck manual. Takes about 10 minutes to correct the issue if this is your problem

I wish it was that simple for me, the 2720 is an altogether different set up, I looked under one today at the dealers to compare. Mine is obviously a design flaw, there are many discrepancies in the manual. What is funny is I drilled 2 holes in the link that goes to the 3 point hitch for more options and now there are tradeoffs, I can get the stop to reach the frame, but again the highest I can get the mower dial to get to is still about 3", also at the extreme end of the dial, height is in 1" increments , so I cannot go down to 2 1/2". I need to get 2 1/2" at the center of the knob travel, like on my previous 2305. We noticed on the parts website that the link I had modified was previously adjustable with a threaded yoke, it has been replaced with the solid one like I got on my new 2320. It seems they did this because too many people were trying to do what I am trying to do, JD engineering with another "Lemon design". I ordered another link and I am going to have a machine shop put some threads and a coupling on it so I can fine tune this "Compromised Situation". I had to do similiar mods to my 2305 as well, very annoying for such an expensive tractor.

VP

More info please. If there is a gap between the mower "uplimit" tab and the frame when the mower is in the full up lock position, why don't you adjust it?

All you have to do is adjust the two lift mechanism turnbuckles until you get to within 1/16 of the frame. Then you should have the full range. For what it's worth, mine won't mow at the advertised 6 inch height unless you have it in the locked up position, but it does have a reasonable range when adjusted correctly. (Note: I figured it out and adjusted it myself after the dealer couldn't get it right in two tries.)

Before I adjusted my links length, there was a 4" gap, now there is a small gap, mower is set right for travel, but the highest I can get the dial knob to go is again about 3 ". There is an obvious compromise between high travel setting (Where it just hits the frame) and a lower cutting height in the middle of the dial. Do you have the 3 point hitch link with the threaded yoke?

VP

/ 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3" #8  
Before I adjusted my links length, there was a 4" gap, now there is a small gap, mower is set right for travel, but the highest I can get the dial knob to go is again about 3 ". There is an obvious compromise between high travel setting (Where it just hits the frame) and a lower cutting height in the middle of the dial. Do you have the 3 point hitch link with the threaded yoke?

VP

I have the independent lift kit, but I think the adjustment is the same. On mine, there is a pretty big gap between the lock setting and the highest mowing setting. If I remember correctly, the highest setting cuts a little over 3" and to get a 6" height you have to lock it up. I mow with the setting in either the highest setting or the next to highest. The areas I mow are pretty uneven and I like to leave the grass fairly high. To use the lower settings on mine you would need a smooth lawn and like to mow short (which a lot of people seem to like).

It sounds like yours may be set up the way it's supposed to be. If you look at the cams on the height setting knob, you'll see that there are very large gaps between the highest settings.

I have the independent lift kit, but I think the adjustment is the same. On mine, there is a pretty big gap between the lock setting and the highest mowing setting. If I remember correctly, the highest setting cuts a little over 3" and to get a 6" height you have to lock it up. I mow with the setting in either the highest setting or the next to highest. The areas I mow are pretty uneven and I like to leave the grass fairly high. To use the lower settings on mine you would need a smooth lawn and like to mow short (which a lot of people seem to like).

It sounds like yours may be set up the way it's supposed to be. If you look at the cams on the height setting knob, you'll see that there are very large gaps between the highest settings.

I am going to try a "Compromise today" but something is clearly wrong. When you have yours all the way up, how much clearance is between the stop and the frame. The manual says there should be 1/16". Also does your independent lift drop over time when you leave it all the way up. I had that on my 2305 and it would drop after a few minutes.

VP

/ 62D mower on 2320 wont cut higher than 3" #10  
This is starting to bother me. I've been reading alot of comments about the mower deck lifting mechanism on the 2000 series tractors. There is obviously a problem in design or something. The system on my 3320 works just fine. We pay top dollar to buy JD tractors for something like this to happen. It's the little things that will cause people to buy elsewhere. I know there are some JD dealers that read this forum. Maybe even some reps. I say to JD take care of these guys. Design a better system and give them the fix for free.