Backhoe FINALLY Got My Backhoe

/ FINALLY Got My Backhoe #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
After several months of "negotiating", I finally brought home my #7 backhoe last night. It's been quite an experience which of course, I'll share...

It all started when I got approval from the boss to get a hoe for my little 790. She knows how much I like backhoes. It will be a great tool for a number of landscaping projects we have in mind but I can't deny a bit of "toy" value to this middle aged boy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So I got a quote from my dealer for a new one which was in line with what I expected. Did some shopping at other dealers and checked used since it is a large expenditure. Another local dealer happened to have one sitting on his lot which he claimed was "slightly used". I went to see it. Turns out, it may have been used some but perhaps only demos. It was made in 1998 and has sat (outside) since then. They could sell it as new, with full warranty as it had never been registered with Deere. I'm getting excited. They even had a brand new installation kit for the 790 in the parts room.

So I express my interest and he does some checking. John Deere wants them to go through the machine to make sure it's OK if it's to be sold as new. Here's where the trouble started. This is a lawn and garden/forklift dealer. They had a couple of CUTs sitting around but certainly not their ball of wax.

The known problems were a broken hose fitting and a pitted stabilizer cylinder. They wanted to replace all the hoses. Took several tries to get all the hoses then they had no one to work on it. I showed up one day and offered to take it as is but still wouldn't sell. Finally got the hoses installed but wanted me to bring my tractor over to run the hydraulics for test.

At this point, I'm getting perterbed but still can't ignore the savings on this unit. I spoke with a higher up on a couple of occasions and suggested they run the hoe off the FEL hydraulics on one of the tractors sitting there (valve held open). Not sure what they did in the end but it was finally ready last night.

I took my trailer over, loaded up the hoe, the installation kit and the power beyond kit for my tractor. They still owe me ROPS extensions and the stabilizer cylinder. Good news is I got the ROPS extensions and Power Beyond at dealer cost.

So I got home, put the Power Beyond kit on (easy) then the brackets (also easy). Then I had to change the hoe subframe. Things started getting harder as it's still on my trailer and it's getting dark. I could move it around a little with my FEL but no rear ballast so I couldn't pick it up. Finally got the new subframe on and got it situated on the trailer.

I backed my tractor up and after about an hour of adjusting/learning/swearing, I got it attached. I think it will be a lot easier on the ground or concrete. Better light could help too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I want to double check all the fasteners etc. tonight, but I did dig a small test hole. Very cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Much more playing tonight, and some pics as well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ FINALLY Got My Backhoe #2  
Look forward to seeing the pics Rob. You mind if I ask what you paid for this unit? I've gotten quotes myself on a 48 JD backhoe for a 4710. They're pricey and I'm having a hard time justifying a purchase from a cost-benefit perspective.

...Bob

/ FINALLY Got My Backhoe
Bob, I meant to put the price in my post but forgot. I paid $3995 for the hoe and attaching hardware. Power Beyond and ROPS extensions were extra but at dealer cost. I basically got a new hoe, warranty and all with some weathering and cosmetic flaws. Same thing brand new was a little over $7k installed from my preferred dealer.

Believe it or not, even for that savings I was close to walking away from it due to the dealer. I'm anxious to get the last couple of items so I can end my relationship with them.

I've got some friends with larger equipment and they kid me about my "toy". I tell them it's not so much a backhoe as it is a power shovel. I'm looking forward to putting it to work /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ FINALLY Got My Backhoe #4  
<font color="blue">"...I paid $3995 for the hoe and attaching hardware. Power Beyond and ROPS extensions were extra but at dealer cost. I basically got a new hoe, warranty and all with some weathering and cosmetic flaws. Same thing brand new was a little over $7k installed...</font>

Good deal Rob. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifYep, I too was quoted over $7K on a new #48. Right now, for the few times I may use it each year I have a difficult time justifying this expense except if I 'fell' upon a good deal like the one you got.

I can understand you wanting to walk away. If I was in your position, I probably would have myself and just forgot about this. Sometimes when I talk to shady dealers on varying products I'm interested in too many red flags may start popping up which generates doubts and second thoughts. When I've ingored these red flags in the past, I've in most cases gotten burnt in my purchase decisions. Reading your previous post started these red flags popping. I sincerely hope you don't experience buyer regret. Anyway, good deal and look forward to the pics. Thanks.

...Bob

/ FINALLY Got My Backhoe #5  
Rob, I am glad you got you hoe!

I paid $5000 for a new 47 Hoe. It is more than Rob's but a lot less than the prices I hear on the 48's. It is one great digging machine, and has subdued some pretty tenacious stumps. I also had a hard time justifying the BH, but, since my wife said, no backhoe = no tractor. I went along. I am not in a good position to rent equipment. I don't have much luck hiring things out. So the backhoe will be pretty handy.

At first, we were throwing the 4310 around pretty well. But we have quickly learned how to dig without riding a bucking bull.

I don't know, but I would not be surprised if some of the red flags rob had were over the dealer's lack of experience with the backhoe. My dealer acted like they had never seen a little hoe before. I think that is pretty commen. We TBNers seem to have a much higher BH ownership, than overall average.

/ FINALLY Got My Backhoe #6  
<font color="blue">"...since my wife said, no backhoe = no tractor..." </font>

I wish we all had wives like yours Mike. Not too often I hear of TBNers' wives encouraging their hubbies to dig deeper into their pockets to buy expensive implements. God bless her.
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
...Bob

/ FINALLY Got My Backhoe #7  
Well, when her baby pictures show her on a tractor, you figure it'll go that way...

/ FINALLY Got My Backhoe
Here are a couple of pics of my power shovel. I wanted to take some more including close ups of the mounting etc. but I decided to do some digging instead. Transplanted a couple of little bluestem prairie grass clumps to a non-mowed area and dug a deep hole, just for the fun of it. Grown men shouldn't be allowed to have this much fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 269984-Backhoe.JPG
    269984-Backhoe.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 776
   / FINALLY Got My Backhoe
One more pic, inside the garage /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 269988-Backhoe1.JPG
    269988-Backhoe1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 649
   / FINALLY Got My Backhoe #10  
<font color="blue"> My dealer acted like they had never seen a little hoe before. I think that is pretty commen. We TBNers seem to have a much higher BH ownership, than overall average.
</font> Amen!!

My JD dealer with 18yrs. in business had sold only two. One of them was mine. It was "new", but had been sitting in his lot for 5 years. Amazing how many TBNers have hoes or plan to get 'em.

Congratulations, Rob.

OkieG