Winches 1026R

/ 1026R #1  

fuelhog2000

Tractor
2012 John Deere 1026R
Hello, I am the proud owner of a new 2012 1026R and would like to know if a small logging winch is available for such a small tractor? I'm thinking the style that is more or less a large metal plate that connects to the 3pt. hitch like you see on larger tractors. Thanks, Troy.

/ 1026R #2  
:welcome: to the forum.

Have you looked at the smaller winches available?
Farmi, Norse, Wallenstein, Tajfun (sp ??)

I suspect the 1026R is a little light in the shorts to do much more than just carry the winch.
Move up to the mid size compacts, say in the 3xxx's to get hp and tire size that is needed in the woods.

But pulling cable with the 1026R to get logs closer to a good logging trail certainly would be possible for that size (and with pulley's in strategic locations, some mechanical advantage is possible as well as getting logs a bit off the ground to drag more easily).

Or, go the route of a logging cart that will back over a log, lift it completely or just the leading edge. ATV's work well for this so the 1026R should also.
A good one is the log arch from LogRite, located in CT
http://www.logrite.com/fetchingarch.html

/ 1026R
Thanks for your input. I'm only looking to remove deadwood from my property. Flat ground and no obstacles so I suppose just using a choker chain on my hitch will suffice. This is my first "tractor" and will do well on my property.

/ 1026R #4  
Get some sort of skidding plate for the 3-point hitch, so that you can choke up a log and then lift the leading edge to skid it out of the woods. Just be careful and watch that it doesn't hang up (could cause you to pop a wheelie). And on a 1026, be very careful about ground clearance. I ended up getting a Kubota B-series for the higher ground clearance in the woods, and use up almost all of the 12+ inches sometimes.

/ 1026R #5  
Something simple to do what s219 suggests might be as shown here with the 8N (chain to hold the log), or using the iMatch with tongs (chain works here too) to get the end of the log up so it doesn't dig in and a little weight on the rear wheels for traction.

Attachments

• 8nLogHitch.JPG
    8nLogHitch.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 402
  • loggingtongs.jpg
    loggingtongs.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,251
   / 1026R #6  
Here's what I use -- a combination skidding plate and trailer hitch:

Attachments

• IMG_2290.jpg
    IMG_2290.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 588
   / 1026R
Those are great ideas. Thank you everyone for your help.