JD5300 begins to slow RPMs under PTO load

/ JD5300 begins to slow RPMs under PTO load #1  

mossbackfarm

Tractor
JD5300
Hello there

I've got a JD5300 with FEL and mower...it's pretty high hours, but was maintained well when I got it. I've had it for ~16months, with no problems. Of course, I just started to tackle the spring mowing and ran into a problem.

I mowed this morning for about an hour, when the engine RPMs started to slow. Got worried, so killed the PTO and brought it back, and it crept to the parking area, barely making it. When I pulled back the throttle, it died rather than idling.

Did a few other chores, and came back to it. Started right up, got to full RPMs when asked, but when I started to mow again I noticed the same thing happening. Brought it back before it began to slow much, and was able to idle it just fine.

Any thoughts on where I should start? My grease monkey skills are basic, at best, but I'm learning

Rich

/ JD5300 begins to slow RPMs under PTO load #2  
I'd look first at the fuel filter (change it out if you haven't recently). That will get rid of any water as well.
Then I'd think about age of fuel and storage. What can you tell us about that?

/ JD5300 begins to slow RPMs under PTO load
I'd look first at the fuel filter (change it out if you haven't recently). That will get rid of any water as well.
Then I'd think about age of fuel and storage. What can you tell us about that?

I was thinking fuel filter would be where I should start, so that'll be first.

The fuel is a few months old...I usually (but can't remember if I did it this time) add stabilizer if it'll sit for a while.

It's stored mostly under cover...when we get sideways rain, things get a bit damp, but mostly things stay covered.

Thanks! I'll report back as I dig into it

/ JD5300 begins to slow RPMs under PTO load #4  
Don't worry about stabilizing diesel fuel. It's fine on it's own...unless you get water in it.

Check fuel shut off valve under the tank toward front (on fuel cap side) first-make sure it's open.
Check to make sure fuel is getting to the injection pump second-fuel filter, line blockages, etc.

It almost sounds like you have something either in your tank or filter that is getting picked up by fuel flow and blocking it under higher fuel demand, but this could also happen with a blocked filter or worn pump.

-Phillip

/ JD5300 begins to slow RPMs under PTO load
I'd look first at the fuel filter (change it out if you haven't recently).

That did it...bleeding the air was quite the pain, but good to go now. Thanks!

It almost sounds like you have something either in your tank

You know, I forgot to mention that last fall the tip cap of a gas can dropped in there. I fished around this morning and pulled it out...don't think that was it, but nice to restart it all clean.

Thanks everyone! Now I'm back on getting the farm ready for the 5yo's birthday party this weekend, and the farm open house next weekend.

Rich