Mowing John Deere 445 Engine

/ John Deere 445 Engine #1  

mattsaga

Tractor
445 John Deere
I have a JD 445 with the 22 hp OHD Valve engine. I Replaced plastic Cam Gear - put back together - and it starts and runs but lots of white smoke from the muffler - feels like a head gasket....any other experience with this? How is the Head Gasket to replace?

/ John Deere 445 Engine #2  
:welcome: to the forum.

What preceded the replacement of the cam gear? Failure, or just figured time to do it?

/ John Deere 445 Engine
I was mowing last Saturday and the mower just quit! I trouble shot it and after realizing the valves weren't moving, researched and found out about the plastic cam gear.

I replaced the water-pump and head gasket at the same time. Did the work myself - took about 10 hours.

/ John Deere 445 Engine #4  
Glad you back up and running! :thumbsup:Just curious. . .how can you tell if the valves aren't moving? I bought a 445 yesterday and it makes lots of white smoke on start up and continues to smoke once running (I knew this when I bought it though). The smoking is intermittent and I noticed it was its worst when going up or down the ramp on my trailer. Engine runs flawlessly, very strong, easy to start, etc. I'm starting to figure what is causing the smoke and how much its going to take to get her up to par. At this point I'm thinking head gasket, just hoping its not more serious than that.

/ John Deere 445 Engine
Is it white smoke for sure? If it is, it is probably a head gasket leak. Is your tractor having any issues overheating? There are a couple checks you can do to investigate if it is a head gasket leak. Take out spark plugs - look for coolant. Take off muffler and check both exhaust ports for coolant...head gaskets aren't that tough to fix....but you could use a stop leak if urgent....I did that before I changed cam gears. Good luck.

/ John Deere 445 Engine
Oh ya - if valves arent working the engine will NOT start. to see if the valves are moving, take off valve covers (careful not to damage oring seal) then turnover....

/ John Deere 445 Engine #7  
The head gasket could be the issue, however I've had similar problems, and the intake gasket was the culprit. Make sure the torque values are correct as per the service manual on the intake manifold and on the head gasket also. To find which cylinder is faulty, pull both plugs after the tractor has sat over night. Then turn the engine over by hand and see if there is any coolant in the cylinders.

Good Luck,:thumbsup:
JD3X

/ John Deere 445 Engine #8  
I put a cam, gear, water pump and all in mine this year. I did use antiseize on the waterpump bolts but I used the wrong stuff. My bolts kept working loose and upon tightening them the third time the intake gasket failed/busted allowing water/antifreeze to get in the crankcase. It blew white smoke from overfilld crankcase and a huge amount of it.
I drained the oil, put new intake gasket with the right thread binder, filled 2/3 oil and the rest seafoam. Let'er run about 15 minutes and changed oil and filter and its perfect as I know re: the motor..
Small seal went out in the hydrastatic tranny and took it out monday.... ready to go back now... $18 seal and filter...I'm thrilled it was that simple.
Love this mower......